jQuery not supported.

Loose steering

Loose steering

Postby BubbaTruck [OP] » Mar 26 2020, 5:15am

Hello all, I’m sorry if this isn’t posted in the right section but I couldn’t find any results for the problem I’m having.
So a little bit of back story.... I have a 2005 Silverado 1500 2wd with 180,xxx miles on it, It’s a good old girl. I recently had a lot of work done to the front end, new rack and pinion assembly, new coils, shocks, spindles, new ucas, new upper ball joints and tie rod ends. I had a shop install on the parts because I don’t have a driveway to work in right now. All the parts replaced were stock oem parts, so well worn out. The truck rides great now much more controlled and steering feel is firm. But I noticed there is about an inch of free play in the steering wheel ( no resistance, no moving the wheel in the free play).
What do y’all think it could be? I checked the intermediate steering shaft for play and it is moving with the u-joint at the rack and pinion. Can the gear box be adjusted?
Thank y’all for your insight. I don’t just want to fire the parts cannon in vain. Again thank you for all the help!
Original Poster
BubbaTruck
Topics: 2
Years of membership: 1 year of membership
Year: 2005
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Extra Info: 4.8 2wd
Group Membership:
Registered users

Re: Loose steering

Postby nealinator » Mar 26 2020, 1:43pm

If you have a rack and pinion...you dont have a gear box. Which is it? The gear box if you have it does have some lash adjustment, but if it is new (assuming it is rebuilt) there is only so much that can do before it actually locks up the steering and causes major issues. What sort of parts were used for the rebuild?
Nealinator's 5.3L 4x4 Z71 All Terrain188,629 miles
AMP Power Steps - Retrax Pro Cover - Terra Grappler G2 - Airaid MIT - Mobil 1
Borla Exhaust - Eonon GA7180 - Custom Catch Can - Bilstein 5100's - $ Cost $ - DiabLew Tune
nealinator
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Topics: 170
Years of membership: 5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
Year: 2010
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Variant: All Terrain
Extra Info: 1500 5.3L 4x4 Z71
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
TOTM Winner
Supporters
Registered users

Return to Suspension