jQuery not supported.

Loud Clunking Under Dash

Loud Clunking Under Dash

Postby Rocko99 [OP] » Sep 16 2013, 5:42pm

I just inherited a 05 HD2500 with 125K miles. I am hearing a loud clunking under the dash while driving, seems worse while turning a slow speeds. Can someone point me in the best way to fix this? Thanks.
Original Poster
Rocko99
Topics: 1
Years of membership: 7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
Year: 1982
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Extra Info: HD 2500
Group Membership:
Registered users

Re: Loud Clunking Under Dash

Postby ASTE25 » Sep 17 2013, 8:04pm

It is probably the steering intermediate shaft. Google it, it is a common problem.
Jordan
ASTE25
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Topics: 19
Years of membership: 10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership
Year: 2015
Make/Model: ...Not an owner
Group Membership:
Automotive Technicians
SilveradoSierra Guru
Member Extraordinaire
Registered users

Postby Duke of the Dale » Sep 18 2013, 6:20pm

I have been looking for a post like this for over a week now. My '05 does the same thing. I thought the steering wheel was going to fall off!
Duke of the Dale
Firing on 3 cylinders [L1]
Topics: 5
Years of membership: 7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
Year: 2005
Variant: VHO/Vortec Max
Extra Info: 2500 HD 6.0L
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby djlove » Sep 18 2013, 6:37pm

Or your stabilizer bushings or links.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
djlove
Topics: 24
Years of membership: 8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership
Year: 2009
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
Registered users

Postby Duke of the Dale » Sep 18 2013, 6:55pm

I'm thinking it is more the steering intermediate shaft. Everything that I have seen or read so far is saying that's what it is. Seems simple enough to fix or replace. Depends on if you want to spend money or not. Found a couple of videos on YouTube that show hot to temp or permanently fix the problem. If it was the stabilizer bushings or links, I would assume the sound to be coming from under the truck and not inside the cab. Thanks for your advice DJ. I will keep an eye on that as well.
Duke of the Dale
Topics: 5
Year: 2005
Variant: VHO/Vortec Max
Extra Info: 2500 HD 6.0L
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby djlove » Sep 18 2013, 7:28pm

yep the intermediate shaft will be felt more when turning. The stabilizer is also at slow speeds but that is usually over speed bumps you will get a knock on the frame so you hear it more than feel it.

I saw a a video of a guy who filled the end with epoxy, tapped and put a grease fitting in and then he could just squirt a little grease in when it started sticking again. I thought that was a genius plan but a little involved. I had it reparied on my G6 under warranty and then in grad school i just pulled the shaft out and pulled it apart, used some of my dads white grease stuck a cork in the end and primmed it. I didnt have a problem for another two years.
djlove
Topics: 24
Years of membership: 8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership
Year: 2009
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
Registered users

Return to Suspension