Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner

Rough Country 3.5" vs. 4" SST ReadyLift vs 4" Tough Country

20K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  Wade_660 
#1 ·
I see that the RC is about 1/2 the price of the ReadyLift ... why is that? Wondering if the parts and materials used in the RC are not a quality as the RL!?!?!

I am looking to lift my truck but not do anything to alter the ride and my major reason for not doing a full 6"+ lift is I will be towing a 5K travel trailer with my truck a handful of times a year and I have read and hear d form everyone to not do a full large lift if you are towing (these lifts are ok when towing as opposed to other larger lifts correct?)

I see Many guys using the RC lift and only a few using the RL kit ... I would assume most would suggest the RC due to that's whats used most often due to price but how does the quality stack up ... plus wold I even notice a 1/2" difference?

One plus for the RC is I see it has some sort of shock absorbers and the RL does not ... how is this a benefit to have any why does the RL kit not have that?

Obviously my first choice would be the RC since I would save a bunch of money but I want to get more info before making that decision.

Also to what is the normal going rate for a local shop to install these kits? Just trying to get an idea of total price.

FYI: I will be placing a set of 20" XD Series Monster Black rims with a set of 33" all-terrain tires (not sure what size ... I will know more when I get further down the road into buying them)

I am new to all of this and am learning as I go ... after deciding that a full lift kit is not good for towing (though I want that more then anything but really wouldn't be able to afford it anyway) I have decided to go with the largest bolt on lift I can find to keep the stock ride, not alter the suspension, keep my truck ready for towing but still have a nice lifted look with a set of 20's and nice big tires.

EDIT: I added the 4" Tough Country last second as I never saw it before and just happen to see a guy with one .... how are these compared to the other and does anyone know the price? (I see about $767 at 4WheelParts.com) This one still doesn't have the shock absorbers like the RC ... do those help over these others that actually cost more?

I look forward to all of your replies and thoughts and suggestions .... thanks so much :)

Rough Country Lift: http://www.roughcountry.com/chevy_4wd_1500_3.html

Ready Lift: http://www.readylift.com/c-202-chevy-si ... f175r.aspx

Tuff Country: http://www.tuffcountry.com/chevy-gmc-li ... -kits.html

See less See more
#3 ·
Also if you have pics of silverados / Sierras with once of these lifts and some kind of 20" black rim I would love to see how it looks.

I have found a few pics online browsing around but would love to see more.

Thanks again for all the feedback guys. :)

#4 ·
They are all essentially the same thing!!! There is also the Fabtech budget lift... again same thing...

The shocks that come with the RC kit are JUNK!!! So don't let that be a deciding factor for you...

I basically have a RC 3.5" Kit with Bilstein 5100s set at + .59"... and it rides a bit stiffer than stock... more of a "sportier" feeling ride if you know what I mean?

#5 ·
Thats a good lookin lift and nice lookin truck bro.

Good to know the shocks aren't much of anything as well .. thought that may be some sort of an advantage or something over the others.

Just wondering the price for say the RC is half the cost or the ReadyLift though ... I wonder if maybe the material used or something is of higher quality possibly.

Thinking maybe the RC would be the way to go ... I see TONS of guys using the RC (which I'm sure is due to price) but not many using the RL. The Tuff Country is also a good option to I bet and I would assume if the RC's quality was sub-par most guys would spend more for quality so I'm sure they are close.

How much is the going rate for most shops to install the full RC with control arms? trying to get an idea on what the full cost would be for this type of kit (wish I could install but I don;t have the know how really or even the main tools needed to accomplish something like that).

Keep the pics coming ... wanting to try and find a pic a a Red quad cab Sierra with this lift and some black rims ... would love to know exactly what my truck could look like.

#6 ·
Looks like my local 4WheelParts store has the Tuff Country 4" ... may go that route for a little more.

Still wondering how much something like this costs to have installed.

#7 ·
the shops around here charge $100 for every Inch.

#9 ·
Wade_660 said:
In my opinion the rough country lift is just a glorified leveling kit. Its not a horrible product but not ideal either. The readylift kit may be a little better but I feel like readylift products are way overpriced. Especially their leveling kits.
How about the Tuff Country 4" Kit?

My local 4WheelParts store carries the Tuff Country and they are liek $767 for the full kit and they charge like $760 for an install (seems a bit damn high) plus $142 for alignment and $175 for 3 year warranty (optional)

$900 to install seems WAY to high in my opinion ... is this normal for a reputable shop install?

I like the kit and am okay with the $767 price tag but 1K+ plus install and warranty seems crazy!

There price on XD Monster rims and Toyo Open country tires seems about right ($1,009 for the rims and $1,259 for tires) and I'm good with those prices as compared to other shops but the install lift kit is killing me.

Any thoughts here?

#10 ·
After looking the $900 bucks install fee is for the whole thing ... it's the 4" lift kit install, rims and tires install with mount balance and alignment. So I guess that may be about right for everything huh?

#12 ·
I know that it may be a little higher, but for that kind of money I would just buy the 5'' Rough Country lift. The reason I say this is because its not much more money at all and you can go up higher down the road if you ever decide to. Personally I think its the best lift that Rough Country makes for these trucks. You can get a deal on it Im sure for around $800.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.