jQuery not supported.

Service truck sag in rear

Service truck sag in rear

Postby Dannypug110256 [OP] » Nov 06 2019, 3:00pm

I have a 2014 1500 8’ bed single cab. It has a commercial aluminum topper and a bit of weight for a plumbing company truck. Sewer machines, parts and tools I would guess at least 1000 pounds but with topper say 1500 min. At times with water heater 2000. Guesstimate. It doesn’t really sag as it is, just a tad, but there’s some up-and-down movement in the rear.

If I hook up a trailer then there is a noticeable sag and it’s obviously lower.

I guess I’m old-school and I immediately thought about just adding a leaf. Seems that in today’s world no mechanics really want to mess with that stating how involved it can be and here I am thinking it was a simple project!

They are trying to lead me towards airbags and all that other junk that I just don’t see investing the money in on a truck with 100,000 and maybe has a year worth of service left.

I’m not looking for the best option, I would just like to know what the absolute cheapest option is for me to get the back raised up and supported.

Is a helper spring cheaper than add a leaf?

2015 Duramax Crew 4x4 3500 DEF emissions delete.
200 hp tune. AirDog 2 4G bypass. Winches front & back.
4-300W light bars on roof rack. 3-105W front. 8 switch panel overhead console. 5-12V batteries. 6 Nitto Terra Grappler G2, 2 spares roof. Fender flares. See profile for complete list mods.
Original Poster
Dannypug110256
Firing on 5 cylinders [L1]
Topics: 11
Year: 2015
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Extra Info: See List Interests
Group Membership:
Registered users

Re: Service truck sag in rear

Postby judsonlimited » Nov 06 2019, 3:04pm

If you're looking based on cost, look at hellwig helper springs. It'd probably be best though in your situation to do both a helper spring and airbags. Airbags mainly for when you tow. Thats a lot of weight to be in the bed at all times so it may be beneficial to replace the whole spring packs at the same time, depending on mileage of course.

"CritterGitter: I'm just baffled at the amount of dumb worthless douchebaggery I see being done to these good trucks"

JEFFREY EPSTEIN DIDN'T KILL HIMSELF
judsonlimited
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Topics: 139
Years of membership: 6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership
Year: 2019
Make/Model: ...Not an owner
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby ferraiolo1 » Nov 06 2019, 3:05pm

Throw in an aal. $65 and takes maybe an hour to install.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SierraHarley: So lets gets this straight.... your opinion is people shouldn't post their opinions and people should be able to do whatever they want although you're telling people that have a difference of opinion what they should do?
ferraiolo1
Topics: 96
Years of membership: 6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership
Year: 2017
Variant: All Star Edition
Extra Info: Z71 5.3
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
TOTM Winner
Member Extraordinaire
Registered users

Postby CritterGitter » Nov 06 2019, 3:13pm

Dannypug110256 wrote:They are trying to lead me towards airbags and all that other junk that I just don’t see investing the money in on a truck with 100,000 and maybe has a year worth of service left.

Of coarse they are... 9/10 shops these days are trying bufu good folks for chit they don't need. AAL will do exactly what you need here on the cheap.
CritterGitter
Shifting into Second Gear [L3]
Shifting into Second Gear [L3]
Topics: 4
Years of membership: 5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
Year: 2011
Extra Info: 1500 Z71 4x4 5.3L
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby 19trax9519trax95 is online! » Nov 06 2019, 3:22pm

Yeah the zone add a leaf is $60-70 and takes about an hour to do in the driveway with basic tools.
19trax9519trax95 is online!
Staff Member
Staff Member
Topics: 115
Years of membership: 7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
Extra Info: 1500 5.3L Z71
Group Membership:
Automotive Technicians
How-to Authors
TOTM Winner
Member Extraordinaire
Global moderators
Registered users

Postby Dannypug110256 [OP] » Nov 06 2019, 6:20pm

I must’ve called 10 different places and even called a specialty shop and they were all like singing the song about how I can open a canna worms and there’s a lot of miscellaneous pieces.

I even called a freaking suspension shop and the guy said let me talk to him and find out how much then comes back and says no he doesn’t want to mess with that because the amount of work that’s involved doesn’t equal what he can charge for the job and he would have to charge $500 to make it worth his wild.

I know in my younger days we would do it in the parking lot of the auto parts store!!!

The Zone $65 is that a kit that comes with the U-bolts and possibly a pin and everything you need?

And forgive my ignorance it’s been 30 years do you recommend a leaf that goes underneath in the middle or on top?
4-300W light bars on roof rack. 3-105W front. 8 switch panel overhead console. 5-12V batteries. 6 Nitto Terra Grappler G2, 2 spares roof. Fender flares. See profile for complete list mods.
Original Poster
Dannypug110256
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby 19trax9519trax95 is online! » Nov 06 2019, 6:25pm

It's one leaf or side. It is super easy to do.

Comes with everything you need except ubolts.

Can do the whole job with 2 c-clamps, a couple sockets and a ratchet. Leaf pack doesnt need to come out and you only need to lower the axle down just enough to clear the center pin.
Staff Member
Staff Member
Years of membership: 7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
Group Membership:
Automotive Technicians
How-to Authors
TOTM Winner
Member Extraordinaire
Global moderators
Registered users

Postby judsonlimited » Nov 06 2019, 6:26pm

The zone kit is what you need. My local shop installed mine for $100 but had to order u-bolts for some reason and didn't charge me. But others on here have used their factory u bolts with no issues. The zone leaf goes on top of 1st and 2nd leaf (from the bottom).

"CritterGitter: I'm just baffled at the amount of dumb worthless douchebaggery I see being done to these good trucks"

JEFFREY EPSTEIN DIDN'T KILL HIMSELF
judsonlimited
Topics: 139
Year: 2019
Make/Model: ...Not an owner
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Dannypug110256 [OP] » Nov 06 2019, 6:29pm

What do you all think about this option that was recommended on another site? I’m not familiar with the brackets but a lift block won’t really add any capacity will it? I mean yes I want to lift but I wanted to be able to hold some additional weight as well.

“Cheapest option is a small lift block. It will ride the same just sit high without trailer and level with. Other options are leaf brackets. This will bolt the overload leaf to the other leafs. But as it adds stiffness the ride will suffer”

Original Poster
Dannypug110256
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby 19trax9519trax95 is online! » Nov 06 2019, 6:33pm

No. Dont get a block.

Your springs are sagging from the weight which is why its low. You would be in the same situation with the block except just higher.

The add a leaf will actually add some load resistance to the spring pack and help carry the load better.
Staff Member
Staff Member
Group Membership:
Automotive Technicians
How-to Authors
TOTM Winner
Member Extraordinaire
Global moderators
Registered users
Next