jQuery not supported.

Shocks

Shocks

Postby Jetmech76 [OP] » Oct 10 2019, 3:26am

I'm really having a hard time making my mind up as to which method I want to level my truck. I was pretty dead set on doing the RC 2.5" kit until I checked and saw that I have stamped steel control arms. I can obviously still go that route, but now I'm thinking I should do a shock level since the strut has to come apart anyway to install that kit. The question now becomes Bilstein or Eibach? Both offer an adjustable shock, but Eibach takes it a step further also offering new coil springs (pro truck kit), though that kit is a bit pricey. And if I go with new shocks, should I use a 2" bottom spacer with the shock on it's lowest setting, or omit the spacer and set the shock to it's highest setting? It looks as though Bilstein does have a kit similar to the Eibach pro kit, but it looks to be even more, to the tune of $700. And then what about my shitty stamped UCA's. Should they also be replaced? So many questions.
Original Poster
Jetmech76
Combustion on 3 pistons [L2]
Topics: 33
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Year: 2016
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Extra Info: CCSB LTZ 4x4
Group Membership:
Registered users

Re: Shocks

Postby 19trax9519trax95 is online! » Oct 10 2019, 3:32am

Go coilovers or go home haha

But if your not going coilovers I would highly suggest to look into the Rancho quick lift struts. They use the 9000 series shock and are adjustable as far as dampening goes.

I'm not a fan of the bilsteins. They are firm but not as controlled as I'd like for how firm they are.
19trax9519trax95 is online!
Staff Member
Staff Member
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Topics: 113
Years of membership: 7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
Year: 2017
Variant: All Star Edition
Extra Info: 1500 5.3L Z71
Group Membership:
Automotive Technicians
How-to Authors
TOTM Winner
Member Extraordinaire
Global moderators
Registered users

Postby Jetmech76 [OP] » Oct 10 2019, 3:47am

Didn't even consider an offering from Rancho. Kind of forgot about them honestly. I did see that a few people who installed the Bilstein's said they were so much better than the Ranchos that came on their rigs. Z71 I guess has them from the factory? I'll check them out as well. I know I can count on you for sound advice. Thank you.
Original Poster
Jetmech76
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Rambodog » Oct 10 2019, 4:51am

I have Eibach by way of Halo Suspensions (Ultimate Boss kit). I did Cognito UCA's and couldn't be happier with the ride.
Z Gloss/Undercoat-Leer-AVS-BedRug-Morimoto-Winjet-Lamin X-Kenwood-Rockville-Focal-Rockford-Sundown-Lewtune-Llumar-Airaid-TeamRXP-Diode Dynamics-Halo-DynoMax-Carven-PowerStop-Toyo-Moto Metal-American Racing-WeatherTech-AMP-Fumoto-Moog-Amsoil-Mobil1
Rambodog's 2014 Silverado 1500 5.3 Build
Rambodog
Staff Member
Staff Member
Topics: 58
Years of membership: 4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
Year: 2014
Extra Info: 1500 LT 5.3 4X4
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
TOTM Winner
Global moderators
Registered users

Postby 19trax9519trax95 is online! » Oct 10 2019, 12:11pm

The ranchos from the factory and real ranchos cant even be compared.

The ones that come on the truck are GM spec, and are junk.
19trax9519trax95 is online!
Staff Member
Staff Member
Topics: 113
Years of membership: 7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
Extra Info: 1500 5.3L Z71
Group Membership:
Automotive Technicians
How-to Authors
TOTM Winner
Member Extraordinaire
Global moderators
Registered users

Postby SCSportsman » Oct 10 2019, 7:54pm

Take a look at the Rough Country strut leveling kit, coilover design using the N3 struts. I just put these on (along with the matching N3 shocks for the rear) and the ride is much better than the stock rancho setup.

Here's a link: https://www.roughcountry.com/gm-levelin ... 4wd-374179
SCSportsman
Firing on 1 cylinder [L1]
Firing on 1 cylinder [L1]
Topics: 1
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Extra Info: SLT Z71 4WD 5.3L 6SP
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Jetmech76 [OP] » Oct 10 2019, 8:07pm

19trax95 wrote:The ranchos from the factory and real ranchos cant even be compared.

The ones that come on the truck are GM spec, and are junk.

I figured as much.
Original Poster
Jetmech76
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Jetmech76 [OP] » Oct 10 2019, 8:10pm

SCSportsman wrote:Take a look at the Rough Country strut leveling kit, coilover design using the N3 struts. I just put these on (along with the matching N3 shocks for the rear) and the ride is much better than the stock rancho setup.

That's actually what started this whole shock leveling quest. I started looking into them, but came across a few bad reviews. I've never lifted anything of mine, but it seems Rough Country doesn't have the best name out there, at least as far as suspension lifts. They are the most affordable option however.
Original Poster
Jetmech76
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Jetmech76 [OP] » Oct 10 2019, 9:28pm

SCSportsman wrote:Take a look at the Rough Country strut leveling kit, coilover design using the N3 struts. I just put these on (along with the matching N3 shocks for the rear) and the ride is much better than the stock rancho setup.

Did this kit pretty much level you out then? Did you do new blocks in the back or did you just change the shocks?
Original Poster
Jetmech76
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Bradley21sanders » Oct 10 2019, 9:45pm

if you had no problem and was going to spend $700 on the Eibach then just go ahead and get the halo coilovers, that's my opinion. love my halo setup over the factory ride I had.

Side note: don't go higher than 2.25" level unless you do a diff drop and new upper control arms.

2"-2.25" usually levels these trucks out nicely
Bradley21sanders
Auto 4WD Mode [L3]
Auto 4WD Mode [L3]
Topics: 47
Years of membership: 6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership
Year: 2009
Extra Info: 1500 5.3l 2WD
Group Membership:
Registered users
Next

Return to Suspension