Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner

Small issue I've noticed with steering

648 views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  hevyrockerdk 
#1 ·
I think this is the right place for this topic, but if not, mods, please move it to the appropriate area. :)

While driving into work this morning, my XM signal cut out as I was going into the parking garage. Typical, of course. However, when the radio went silent, I was rounding a corner, and as I was steering, it sounded like something was rubbing against something else, but it wasn't metallic. It was more like the plastic was just rubbing together. I haven't had the chance to get down there and look at it yet, but I really just wanted to know if anyone else has noticed this, and if so, is it actually a major problem, or is it just plastic pieces or something rubbing against each other?

I'll be looking into it this afternoon, I just wanted to see what you guys think.

Thanks!

#2 ·
Jeez, that's a bit vague, but let's ask a couple questions...

Have you changed the tire size?
Does it sound like it's coming from inside the cab?

I have a problem with something that I have just noticed recently where there is a sound right at the steering wheel. It sounds like the plastic on the underside of the steering wheel is rubbing on the plastic of the box that covers all the wires for the multi-stick and shift handle.

Oddly enough, I had that same noise on the 2006 Chevy also. It wasn't there when I bought it, but it just came along in time. I probably won't do anything about the noise, just let itself wear down.

#3 ·
No new tires or tire sizes.
Sounds like it's coming from inside the cab, between the steering wheel and the column cover.

I'm heading out now to take a look at it, if nothing else, spray a little WD-40 on it and see what happens.

*EDIT* I win, it stopped. The magical world of commercial lubrication... :twisted:

#6 ·
I'm pretty sure they were rubbing against each other, but it's not happening anymore, so I'm not too worried about it.

Ben, I've been in that parking garage many times, I know for a fact that the sound was coming from inside the cab. The flooring on the second floor of that garage however does make my tires squeal if I turn past a certain degree of steering. It's almost amusing. :lol: Thank you for the advice though!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.