jQuery not supported.

ATV - wiring new LED headlights using factory switch

Forum rules
Topics that are unrelated to Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra trucks. Discuss any appropriate topic that is off the subject of trucks. Please do not post topics that request support for your pickup here. If your post has anything to do with truckin' it will be moved into a more appropriate category. Post counts are not incremented in the Junk Drawer.

ATV - wiring new LED headlights using factory switch

Postby Mossyoakglock [OP] » May 13 2019, 4:46pm

I have a 1996 Polaris Sportsman 500 that I got cheap and slowly fixing it up. I got it running so now it's on to the headlights.

I tested the plugs and I am getting power to the socket so the bulbs are just blown. But, since you can't find an automotive bulb that cross-references to the Polaris bulbs and the Polaris bulbs are $30 a piece, I figured an upgrade is in order.

I want to use the factory headlight switch and replace the existing lights with some LEDs. My first question is do you think I need to use a relay? If not, that would make wiring much easier but don't mind running a relay if needed.

If I need to do the relay, is this how I should wire it?

85 to Ground
87 to positive on new light
30 to battery w/ inline fuse
86 to positive factory headlight wire

I don't know which LEDs I'm going to get so I don't know the power draw compared to the original bulb. I believe the factory polaris bulb draws 27 or 35 watt.
Original Poster
Mossyoakglock
Shifting into Second Gear [L3]
Shifting into Second Gear [L3]
Topics: 331
Years of membership: 7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
Year: 2008
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Extra Info: 1500 CC 4x4 5.3L
Group Membership:
Registered users

Re: ATV - wiring new LED headlights using factory switch

Postby 19trax95 » May 13 2019, 5:09pm

It all would depend on the new bulbs you get. But given the age I'd just use a relay harness. It's easy to wire up and it takes the guess work out of the equation. Unless they pull some really low current then I wouldn't worry about it
19trax95
Staff Member
Staff Member
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Topics: 137
Years of membership: 8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership
Year: 2015
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Variant: High Country
Extra Info: 2500 Duramax
Group Membership:
Automotive Technicians
How-to Authors
TOTM Winner
Member Extraordinaire
Global moderators
Registered users

Return to Tailgate Talk