jQuery not supported.

Firearm Discussion Thread

Post your favorite toys
Forum rules
Topics that are unrelated to Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra trucks. Discuss any appropriate topic that is off the subject of trucks. Please do not post topics that request support for your pickup here. If your post has anything to do with truckin' it will be moved into a more appropriate category. Post counts are not incremented in the Junk Drawer.

Re: Firearm Discussion Thread

Postby 19trax95 » Jan 12 2021, 5:21am

Yeah you will need to search local stores for primers more than likely.

Luckily large rifle primers are slightly more obtainable than small rifle, and especially small pistol. Still very hard to find though. I was able to luck out at cabelas a few weeks ago and they just so happened to have some large rifle, large pistol and small pistol primers. They hadn't even put them on the shelves yet.

I'm subscribed to literally every major website for in stock notifications for primers and as of yet I have not seen any come in stock.

Powder is slightly more available depending on what you want to use. Bullets may or may not be an issue depending on what you want to go with.
19trax95
Staff Member
Staff Member
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Topics: 136
Years of membership: 8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership
Year: 2015
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Variant: High Country
Extra Info: 2500 Duramax
Group Membership:
Automotive Technicians
How-to Authors
TOTM Winner
Member Extraordinaire
Global moderators
Registered users

Postby plant.one » Jan 12 2021, 5:25am

Hodgdonreloading.com is selling powder directly now too. Check out their store there daily and be ready to click buy now when something comes in.

That 300wsm powder should be relatively easy.

30-06/270 powder is going to be trickier.

The pistol stuff shouldn't be terrible but you'll still have to be patient.

The nice thing is 1lb of most pistol powders loads .... 800-1k rounds - or more.

For reference 1lb = 7000 grains so you can get an idea on rounds/lb once your manual gets here

Sent from my SM-G977U using Tapatalk
08 silverado 1500 LT Z71 4x4 CrewCab
Stage 1 Cam, DOD/AFM Delete, Performance Valve grind, Port/Polished intake/exhaust, custom tune.

StormTrooper

Plant.One's 08 Stormtrooper build
plant.one
Combustion on 5 pistons [L2]
Topics: 19
Years of membership: 2 years of membership2 years of membership
Year: 2008
Extra Info: 5.3L Z71 4x4 Crew LT
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby 19trax95 » Jan 13 2021, 3:00am

If anyone is in need of some pistol bullets, specifically coated bullets, DG Bullets has pretty much everything in stock.

A guy I work with bought some and he was pleased with the quality of the coating. So I just ordered a few K of them in various calibers. I previously used SNS casting and Bayou bullets but they are out of stock of the 160 grain 9mm and all 45acp. Prices are in line with what they should be as well which is nice.
19trax95
Staff Member
Staff Member
Years of membership: 8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership
Group Membership:
Automotive Technicians
How-to Authors
TOTM Winner
Member Extraordinaire
Global moderators
Registered users

Postby plant.one » Jan 13 2021, 2:22pm

American reloading has both 147gr 9mm and 230gr 45 acp in fmj in stock too. Those are from their LOS line - so new production not pulls

https://americanreloading.com/en/389-los-bullets

There's 10% off code and their prices are shipping included. Which brings those 147 fmj's to $0.106 ea TYD.Image

Sent from my SM-G977U using Tapatalk
08 silverado 1500 LT Z71 4x4 CrewCab
Stage 1 Cam, DOD/AFM Delete, Performance Valve grind, Port/Polished intake/exhaust, custom tune.

StormTrooper

Plant.One's 08 Stormtrooper build
plant.one
Topics: 19
Years of membership: 2 years of membership2 years of membership
Year: 2008
Extra Info: 5.3L Z71 4x4 Crew LT
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby scottl » Jan 14 2021, 4:18am

scottl wrote:Picked up a Ruger Wrangler Friday. Was working the action Saturday and noticed it had a catch in it. Every 7th or 8th rotation the hammer would catch about halfway. Lower the hammer and rotate the cylinder then it work work for another few. it is on it's way back to Ruger.

Ruger replaced the original I bought. Got it back today. Added some Single Six grips.

scottl
Combustion on 4 pistons [L2]
Combustion on 4 pistons [L2]
Topics: 17
Years of membership: 6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership
Year: 2017
Variant: All Star Edition
Extra Info: Crew Cab
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Hep » Jan 17 2021, 2:05am

Almost production ready :D just waiting on my trimmer, dies and caliper.. And of coarse powder.
Attachments
IMG_1721.JPG
DiabLew Tune, CST 4.5", CST Coilovers, Zone add a leaf, Hostile Jigsaw 20x10 -19, Duratrac 33x12.5, BakFlip G2, McNally Catch Can, Carven Exhaust, Amp Power steps, Sig by Nealinator!....
Hep
Armed Forces
Armed Forces
Combustion on 3 pistons [L2]
Topics: 10
Years of membership: 4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
Year: 2016
Extra Info: Midnight Edition LTZ
Group Membership:
Servicemen
Registered users

Postby 19trax95 » Jan 17 2021, 2:10am

What dies did you go with? I have sort of favored the Lee dies. They are a good value in my opinion. The factory crimp dies are excellent.
19trax95
Staff Member
Staff Member
Group Membership:
Automotive Technicians
How-to Authors
TOTM Winner
Member Extraordinaire
Global moderators
Registered users

Postby Hep » Jan 17 2021, 2:19am

I went with rcbs 300wsm dies to start with. I have about two boxes of brass. My friend at work is going to give me 100 wlrm primers. Now I just need to find some powder. Hes going to check his spot for some. according to the book they got their best accuracy out of imr 4064. Not saying that's gospel but where I'm going to start.
DiabLew Tune, CST 4.5", CST Coilovers, Zone add a leaf, Hostile Jigsaw 20x10 -19, Duratrac 33x12.5, BakFlip G2, McNally Catch Can, Carven Exhaust, Amp Power steps, Sig by Nealinator!....
Hep
Armed Forces
Armed Forces
Years of membership: 4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
Group Membership:
Servicemen
Registered users

Postby 19trax95 » Jan 17 2021, 2:31am

I've been on the hunt for some 4064 for a buddy for a while now. Pretty much unobtainium online at the moment. Some stores likely still have a little bit of stock though.

I've grown to be not too picky when when it comes to components these days haha. Usually with enough trial and error, any powder that's suitable for the cartridge can be made to shoot good.

Be sure to lube the cases real good. A stuck case is a bear to get out of the die haha
19trax95
Staff Member
Staff Member
Group Membership:
Automotive Technicians
How-to Authors
TOTM Winner
Member Extraordinaire
Global moderators
Registered users

Postby Hep » Jan 17 2021, 2:38am

lol yea Ill have to do some cross checking on powders. I did find some 4064 in stock but it was in south Africa and couldn't be shipped :lol: Gun broker has some but the prices are a little high :lol: I picked a stellar time to get into this LOL
Hep
Armed Forces
Armed Forces
Group Membership:
Servicemen
Registered users
Previous

Return to Tailgate Talk