jQuery not supported.

Firearm Discussion Thread

Post your favorite toys
Forum rules
Topics that are unrelated to Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra trucks. Discuss any appropriate topic that is off the subject of trucks. Please do not post topics that request support for your pickup here. If your post has anything to do with truckin' it will be moved into a more appropriate category. Post counts are not incremented in the Junk Drawer.

Re: Firearm Discussion Thread

Postby plant.one » Nov 25 2019, 6:16pm

19trax95 wrote:Well I got to say I'm impressed with this 300 blackout build. Went out and ran a few boxes through it. Zero malfunctions with either supers or subs.

The supers have a nice little thump to them compared to 5.56. The subs are just like shooting my mp5 lol. Although I will say they aren't as quiet as I imagined. They are absolutely quiet, but to the ear (my ear shooting it) they are maybe slightly louder than 9mm. Image

unfortunatly super quiet subs and subs that will cycle an AR are two different animals. i ended up getting my CVA scout to get around that desire for stupid quiet (like my 22lr) subsonic loads.

the action cycling on an AR is somewhere around 120 db AFAIk. sadly there's not much you can do to knock that noise down.

you can tone things down a little bit with something like one of the "silent capture" type of buffer spring setups, but that still only takes the "sprong" out of the spring rubbing in the buffer tube.
https://armaspec.com/product/stealth-recoil-spring/

another option would be to install an adjustable gas block and dial it back until it just has enough gusto to give you last round BHO, but again that isnt going to significantly affect the 'at the shooters ear' volume level unless the upper is WAY over gassed right now.

if you wanna hear what it really sounds like... have someone else fire it and go stand 50 yds away.
08 silverado 1500 LT Z71 4x4 CrewCab
Stage 1 Cam, DOD/AFM Delete, Performance Valve grind, Port/Polished intake/exhaust, custom tune.

StormTrooper

Plant.One's 08 Stormtrooper build
plant.one
Combustion on 3 pistons [L2]
Topics: 14
Years of membership: 1 year of membership
Year: 2008
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Extra Info: 5.3L Z71 4x4 Crew LT
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby 19trax95 » Nov 25 2019, 6:25pm

The upper is over gassed a bit with the supers. Just going off ejection pattern. But with subs (the ones i ran so far) it ejected perfectly.

I ordered some 220 grain projectiles and some powder. I'll see what I can work up and see where I can get to.

But like I said, they are definitely quiet. Just like 9mm but a touch louder. I'm thinking I can get them quieter. I needed to work on my 9mm loads quite a bit to get my mp5 to quiet down nicely. Just had to find the sweet spot to where the gun would cycle but it's not making it cycle so hard that is making extra noise.

Now I just need to get a better case trimmer and start converting some my my 5.56 brass haha
19trax95
Staff Member
Staff Member
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Topics: 132
Years of membership: 8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership
Year: 2015
Variant: High Country
Extra Info: 2500 Duramax
Group Membership:
Automotive Technicians
How-to Authors
TOTM Winner
Member Extraordinaire
Global moderators
Registered users

Postby plant.one » Nov 25 2019, 6:47pm

what powder did you order?
Stage 1 Cam, DOD/AFM Delete, Performance Valve grind, Port/Polished intake/exhaust, custom tune.

StormTrooper

plant.one
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby plant.one » Nov 25 2019, 6:59pm

and TBH - unless you've got more time than $$.... 300 blk already converted is cheap enough to not bother with it.

https://sagesreloadingsupply.com/index. ... uct_id=125

you can get 1k ready to load brass delivered for 12.2c each (122.35 delivered for 1k pcs). thats trimmed, sized, tumbled, primer pockets swaged, chamfer/deburred on a giraurd, and QC checked with both sheridan cartridge gauge and ballistic tools primer pocket swage gauge.

at that point its you add primer/powder/bullet and you're off to the range.

i have nothing against doing conversion at home yourself if you're into that kinda thing, but because its based off 223/556 brass the price to buy is negligible.

ive bought from sages several times in the past - he's been active over on the 300blk forums since he started doing this - i have several thousand of his blackout LC conversion brass. one of many happy customers of his.

to me - not having to swage primer pockets alone is worth about half the cost of his brass.

HTH

StormTrooper

plant.one
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby plant.one » Nov 26 2019, 6:45pm

StormTrooper

plant.one
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby GobblerK5 » Dec 02 2019, 8:35pm

...Image

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk
GobblerK5
Combustion on 7 pistons [L2]
Topics: 4
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Year: 2004
Extra Info: Crew Cab 1500 5.3L
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby GobblerK5 » Dec 03 2019, 4:05am

Bought myself a Christmas present this evening...that I'll get to bring home...meh... hopefully by next Christmas...YHM Turbo QD 5.56 can...

GobblerK5
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby hunt4steve » Dec 03 2019, 9:03pm

Anybody in here from Virginia?

Seems the Governor is putting forth a bill to ban "assault weapons", whatever that means, or whatever they deem it to mean.

WashingtonCompost article
hunt4steve
Armed Forces
Armed Forces
Combustion on 5 pistons [L2]
Combustion on 5 pistons [L2]
Years of membership: 4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
Year: 2017
Extra Info: 4x4 CC LTZ Midnight
Group Membership:
Servicemen
Registered users

Postby plant.one » Dec 03 2019, 9:14pm

The language used in that pre-filed assault weapons bill is pretty scary. However if you want to really get nervous about what's going on in Virginia look up the sb64 bill that's pre file to go with it.

If that successfully passes I wonder how they intend to deal with the fact that internet exist in that information on firearms training, manufacturing and or repair are out there

If they throw in some kind of red flag law you could have a nearly perfect storm 4 tyranny to rear its ugly head just based on someone internet browsing history.

Feel really bad for the people of Virginia, and the New York/ California Style Firearms laws that are heading their way.

Elections really do have consequences.

Sent from my SM-G977U using Tapatalk

StormTrooper

plant.one
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby GobblerK5 » Dec 03 2019, 11:58pm

Yes Virginia for me dealing with our lovely situation...

I just hope VCDL can fix this $h1t storm for us...

GobblerK5
Group Membership:
Registered users
PreviousNext

Return to Tailgate Talk