jQuery not supported.

Is this truck worth it?

Forum rules
Topics that are unrelated to Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra trucks. Discuss any appropriate topic that is off the subject of trucks. Please do not post topics that request support for your pickup here. If your post has anything to do with truckin' it will be moved into a more appropriate category. Post counts are not incremented in the Junk Drawer.

Re: Is this truck worth it?

Postby 19trax95 » Mar 03 2015, 3:26am

think even at $10,000 I'd still pass.

They are good trucks, but they aren't worth what people want (in my opinion).
19trax95
Staff Member
Staff Member
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Topics: 136
Years of membership: 8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership
Year: 2015
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Variant: High Country
Extra Info: 2500 Duramax
Group Membership:
Automotive Technicians
How-to Authors
TOTM Winner
Member Extraordinaire
Global moderators
Registered users

Postby fpab7 [OP] » Mar 03 2015, 3:29am

Yeah the miles would scare me from it. Plus it don't have a bowtie. Lol!
Original Poster
fpab7
Topics: 12
Years of membership: 6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership
Year: 2002
Extra Info: 1500 5.3L 4x4
Group Membership:
TOTM Winner
Registered users

Postby rustyZ71 » Mar 03 2015, 4:04am

Ten thousand isn't a bad deal... and sometimes people do set a high price hoping to get a taker but I mostly see it with unusual/hard to price vehicles. Does it he want it as a daily or just a second vehicle? I wouldn't buy a vehicle with that many miles as a daily, but it's easy for me to say it's too many miles on a daily as I can go out and buy a new vehicle if it breaks down. Plus you still should safely get 200,000 miles out of most vehicles now without major work (so another 60k), and that works out to being a decent deal for $10,000.

Why does he want one anyway? If he just doesn't want to deal with a full sized it's not that much of a leap... going from my 04 Dakota the hardest thing to get used to was the extra length, not the wider body and that only took a week or two. And it still drives easy. A comparable full sized Silverado is going to be of a similar age and mileage though at around $10,000, at least locally.

If he has his heart set on it and it sounds like he might, and he buys something else he's probably going to be disappointed. At $10,000 it's a bit below book and doesn't sound like nearly as bad as a deal at $15,000. Yeah the Silverado is the bigger/more capable truck for the same amount of money but if he's just going to drive it around town it won't matter. All depends how he is going to use it which truck suits his actual needs better, otherwise it just comes to personal preference. That said I do enjoy the longer wheel base and bigger seats in the Silverado which makes it more comfy to ride around in than my old Dakota.

I'd just get it checked out by a 3rd party mechanic prior to purchasing. If they guy really wants to sell it he'll have no issue doing that if it gets him a sale. I'd budget a couple hundred though for new plugs, fluid changes, radiator flush, belts, etc regardless on any truck this old.
rustyZ71
Firing on 8 cylinders [L1]
Topics: 4
Years of membership: 6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership
Year: 2005
Extra Info: 1500 5.3L V8 4x4
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby fpab7 [OP] » Mar 03 2015, 4:46am

the truck will only be driven on the weekends and during hunting season and yeah he really likes the body style of the T****a that's pretty much it. Also he beloved since it's only a 6 cylinder he will get better mpgs.
Original Poster
fpab7
Group Membership:
TOTM Winner
Registered users

Postby 19trax95 » Mar 03 2015, 4:50am

I'm bit so sure about the gas milage thing.

I've read that the v6 they put in those aren't the most fuel efficient.

I know my friend in high school had a 2001 (I think) T****a with the v6 and it got the same milage my truck gets with a 5.3l (I average 16mpg city 18 highway)
19trax95
Staff Member
Staff Member
Topics: 136
Years of membership: 8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership
Year: 2015
Variant: High Country
Extra Info: 2500 Duramax
Group Membership:
Automotive Technicians
How-to Authors
TOTM Winner
Member Extraordinaire
Global moderators
Registered users

Postby Tilt2Turn » Mar 03 2015, 5:17am

I never was happy with the seating position in T****a's. The seat bottom is just not that far off the floor. Otherwise, the price seems about right.
Tilt2Turn
Topics: 3
Year: 2008
Extra Info: LTZ
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby fpab7 [OP] » Apr 10 2015, 6:21pm

Haven't updated this in a while, but he body the truck he talked him down to $9,500. he's had our for about 2-3 weeks. Man that trick rides real rough, my 02 with a lift and mud tires don't ride nearly as rough as that. He is having problems already just had the check engine light come on, we'll check that out this weekend.
Original Poster
fpab7
Group Membership:
TOTM Winner
Registered users
Previous

Return to Tailgate Talk