Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My alternator had been replaced 4 or 5 years ago because the bearings let loose in the original. I replaced it with a cheap reman because that was what I could get right at that moment. It served longer than I thought it might, but is starting to complain now. The original was the 125amp Bosch. I just ordered a brand new GM (Delco I think) 145 from Rock. I have added an inverter for charging drill batteries, and a few other things so I figured I would up the amps since I had to replace it anyway. I looked at the belts and it shows the same size for all 3 alternator choices, but I thought I read the need to change belt size. Do I need to? Or just wait and see if there is enough play to get the belt on?

thanks.

·
Registered
1999 Silverado ECSB 6.0
1,824 Posts
No you do not need to change the belt size that I am aware of.

·
Registered
1999 Silverado ECSB 6.0
1,824 Posts
Worst comes to worst you drive down to the store and buy one haha

·
Registered
3,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The brown truck brought it in today. I waited until my grandson got home to install it. He is almost 3 and loves tools and working on the truck. It took about 20 minutes, mostly because I dropped the nut and had to get a magnet. Once he saw how cool that was he just HAD TO pick something up. So I let him pick up my 10mm socket, over and over again.
The dimming lights and a/c at idle problem is gone. I will probably throw this one up on the shelf as an emergency spare. Which means I’ll scrap it in 4 years after having moved it dozens of times.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts