Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To get a true E.T. on 0 to 60 do I start from a stand still and jump on it or do I hold the brake, bring up the r.p.m.'s and launch? Not sure why I need to even know. I did the standing start method and used a hand held stop watch and got a time of 8.9 seconds. Not sure if that is good, but it seems like a whole lot of truck getting up to highway speed in a hurry.

·
Registered
16,624 Posts
Good question. I would guess which ever method gives you the best time is the one to use. But, I am guessing that revving while holding the break will work best. But are you using an auto or manual tranny? Reason I ask, is I did it once with my truck from a standstill and was concerned that standing on the gas from 0-60 would cause a redline before the tranny would auto shit to the next gear. Can a guy redline his truck or will the computer limit it before it goes that high? And just what is redline on a 5.3L? My truck doesn't show any "RED" on the tack like I am used to with older vehicles.

Also, if you are getting any wheel spin at all, you might want to consider turning off the Stabilitrac and Traction Control if you truck has that. From what I understand, those systems will limit power to the wheels if they detect any wheel slippage.

·
Registered
360 Posts
When I had my LMM,best way for a 0-60 is lock it in 4x4,hold brake get rpm around 2 grand and let her go.if rpm is held to high you just get wheel spin.for a big heavy truck they will go pretty good,I really miss mine.when gm puts a diesel in the 1500,that will be my next truck.im hoping they use that 4.5.i burned a set of brand new tko off my truck with two runs down the track,could not get it to hook up for about half the track.it takes a few runs to find that sweet spot.be careful in 4x4 pulls,tie rods are a weak point,I know.

·
Registered
360 Posts
I was running a complete dfp delete straight four inch from turbo,and a 150hp tune.that 6.6 is a strong motor.the tranny was starting to slip a little on the hard pulls.i bought a shift kit for it,but sold the truck before I got it installed.i had a lot of fun with that truck.but my daughter was getting married and I needed cash,such is life.that wedding cost me twenty grand and I paid all cash for it.

·
Registered
16,624 Posts
Oh, 6.6. I see. I thought it was a 5.3.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.