Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I apologize I five posted this in the wrong place. Ok this question is for AT's or anyone who's owned an older Silverado/Sierra. Since I have converted my fuel pump set up I have had some issues with my truck running rich. And I have been considering installing an air/fuel ratio gauge I've had sitting in my garage. I know you need an o2 sensor to install and I thought since my truck has no computer of any kind I would have to buy a kit to add the sensors. Long story short I found what appears to be an o2 sensor that plugs into my air breather. I have done a lot of research but all I find is more questions. Any help is appreciated

Attachments

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmmmm I hadn't considered that. Any guess on what it might control? Or what purpose it serves? And the set up on this truck recirculates/ recycles exhaust fumes to catch unburnt fuel, does that change your idea? Because I'm clueless

·
Registered
26 Posts
The system you're talking about is the EGR (exhaust gas return), and as far as that sensor i'm guessing it's part of the EGR system. In my '82 it was cut off by the previous owner, so i'm guessing you can do without. As far as the truck running rich; is the new fuel pump setup pressurized too high for what you're running? If you haven't looked into that, its the first thing i'd check.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Back when this was my daily driver a few years ago the fuel pump push rod froze up. I was hard up for cash and time and jut went the easy route and stuck a mr gasket electric fuel pump in it. It runs great other than the rich issue. I have no sort of pressure regulator. Now that I'm doing better and this truck is now my weekend truck I'm trying to do things right and not jerry rig anything. I considered the gauge because even if I get it within the 7-9 psi that my quadrajet calls for I could still have issues (it's just my luck). If this sensor serves no purpose to me any more then awesome. I plan on removing all the smog stuff soon. I'm just confused on what this sensor is and it's function

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes it's a quadrajet.

·
Premium Member
13,346 Posts
Well, exactly what are you trying to accomplish? If it were me I'd get a new carburator that was not emission controlled (like a Holley 600 vacuum secondary and adjust the jets untill it was running good.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My goal is to remove all the bs under the hood that I don't need so I can actually see the motor. And I could get a regulator and a new carb but really I was jus curious about this sensor so I knew if I could plug a gauge up to it. This truck is just weird. It has no computer but has a check engine light.

·
Premium Member
13,346 Posts
It's got a primitive computer. What you want to do is easy. Get a Holley Carburator and a distributow (HEI) that is from a mid 70's chevy. Then it's completely non-computerized.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It has a vacuum advance hei distributor stock. Should I still swap that out? I really appreciate your input. So basically your sayin I should swap the carb and breather and manifolds then rip out all the other crap? I

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ok awesome. Would I be able to find a vehicle/ engine specific item maybe with some sort of instructions?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I really appreciate the help jordan

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.