Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2000 silverado. Sick of paying mechanic to do stuff I'm perfectly capable of doing , I'm just not sure if I am diagnosing the problem correctly .

When I start my vehicle it turns over very well. My fuel pump is 1 year old. It often has a tough time starting on the first key turn, and if it does start it, it chugs a little bit and then runs smooth. Is this my 02 sensors on my exhaust causing this problem? Need help .

· Member Extraordinaire, Servicemen, How-To Author
16,428 Posts
It does sound like a possible fuel pump, but it could be a bunch of different things. Did this problem start before the new fuel pump, right after the fuel pump or did it just recently start.

· Registered
173 Posts
Any CEL codes ?
When was your last spark plug inspection and what brand & size plugs are you running ?
When was the last time you ran some carb/injector cleaner through your fuel system ?
A new fuel pump pumps the gas through the fuel lines but the injectors control your fuel spray.
If I were you I'd start with pulling a few spark plugs and inspecting their condition using a spark plug chart.

It could be something simple or a number of things causing your issue.

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
HEy guys sorry been busy . I have gotten some sensor codes before but it's been a while since I have had it checked I don't have a code reader of my own . So that's why I was leaning toward the O2 sensor deal

· Registered
370 Posts
Fuel pressure regulator is a common problem with your generation that will cause your truck to rarely start on the first crank and can be a fairly simple fix. You can normally rule that out by priming your fuel pump a couple times before you start cranking.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.