Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This may have already been answered but, what I'm wanting to do is be able to hit a switch and have my Headlights turn off at night when I want, but still have the auto headlight feature. Not sure if this is possible

The dome override switch trick and e-brake trick will not work in my truck for some reason.

I know that I can put a resistor in and bypass the dash sensor, and have the headlights full manual, but I don't want to do that if I don't have to.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
144 Posts
Maybe do the bypass but instead of just wiring out the dash sensor, wire in a switch so you can switch the connection to the dash sensor on and off?

I've actually been thinking about doing something like this with my Camaro as it has no override switch. I just haven't had the motivation to mess with it. My truck I can get them to go off by messing with the override button.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Yeah, I'm in the same boat. Turning wrenches and swinging hammers I can do. Wires and electrical, not so much. I don't have the patience for studying diagrams and stuff.

·
Registered
2015 Sierra SLE 5.3 4x4
6,465 Posts
Glad I saw this thread. I was wondering why I couldn't turn the lights off manually and thought it would be a pain going to the drive in if we ever had to start the truck to keep warm or cool.
I tried setting the ebrake and then starting it and it worked, the lights stayed off. I then tried pushing the dome over ride a few times and that worked to turn them off or push it a couple more times and it returned it to auto function.
Why on Earth did they do it like that and did they mean for the override button to turn them off or is it just a bug?

·
Registered
2015 Sierra SLE 5.3 4x4
6,465 Posts
Aha I found this in the owners manual on page 2-69

When necessary, you may turn off the Automatic
Headlamp System and the Daytime Running Lamps
(DRL) feature by following these steps:
1. Turn the ignition to RUN.
2. Press the DOME OVERRIDE button four times
within six seconds. After the fourth press of the
button, a chime will sound informing you the system
is off. The system will revert back to the automatic
mode when the ignition is turned off and on again.
3. To return to the automatic mode, push the DOME
OVERRIDE button four times within six seconds
(the chime will sound), or turn the ignition off and
on again.
As with any vehicle, you should turn on the regular
headlamp system when you need it.
Also on page 2-67 it says this
To idle your vehicle with the automatic headlamp
system off, set the parking brake while the ignition is
off. Then start your vehicle. The automatic headlamp
system will stay off until you release the parking brake.
Maybe I should read that thing. :oops:

·
Registered
144 Posts
I don't even have an owners manual, so that's good to know it's by design.

·
Registered
2015 Sierra SLE 5.3 4x4
6,465 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Sierra SLE 5.3 4x4
6,465 Posts

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I know my truck was made in Fort Wayne IN. So I assume it was not originally sold in Canada. But I have heard the same thing.

I may just have to put the resister in there and make it full time manual. But it should be possible to put a switch in line, to switch in between auto and manual Headlights.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.