Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a black 03 and recently heard of this plasti dip stuff. i went to town. i did 5 coats on the emblem, grille, lower front bumper, and the chevy logo on the rear silverado emblem. I am not going to cover the chrome.

What else should i coat? I am going to lightly tint the taillights, and get the front two windows tinted to match the rears.

suggestions?

Attachments

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, it can get kinda annoying... I think im gonna keep the chrome on the front. What about wheels?

·
Registered
16,624 Posts
It almost looks like an OOOOPS! picture with that garage door nearly sitting on top of the hood. And I am just wondering if you could even get your truck in that garage. It looks like even folding the mirrors in, it would still be too narrow of an opening to get through.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I had a rag between the door and the hood, and i put the door in "neutral"...

it will fit, but not all the way in. This left me enough room to work.

should i do the emblems?

·
Super Moderator
10,194 Posts
I did all of my truck blacked out pretty much. Plastidip as well.. Emblems, bowties, badges, molding, bumpers, wheels, grille, etc.. It has lasted quite a while, going on three years, no peeling. Just a few places were the edges have a little rub off from road debris, but nothing major anywhere. Wheel have held up better than expected too, nothing to respray. I have pics of most of the work in my gallery if you want to see them...

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
They look nice! i dont think i will do the chrome though... i will do wheels this weekend to protect form salt...

heres some better pics!

Attachments

·
Registered
260 Posts
Do the chrome! Do the chrome!! LOL
If you don't like it, peel it off.

·
Super Moderator
10,194 Posts
Here's a pic of my stock wheels after Plastidip. Did these about 2 years ago, still holding up pretty well. Center caps were sprayed with an opaque black tint as a test, but they turned better than I though, so they stayed.

·
Registered
2015 Sierra SLE 5.3 4x4
6,465 Posts
06GMC5.3L said:
Do not do wheels IMO.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Agreed. If you do want them a dull black color just don't wash them, you'll eventually get the same look.

·
Super Moderator
10,194 Posts
You can get the wheels dipped and glossy if you want. You can spray with the Pdip glossifier, or any glossy coating. As you're spraying the Plastidip, and not the wheel, you can remove it all just as easy with a toothpick to get under the coat. I left mine with the matte finish, as that was my preference.

And while I blacked out all my chrome, I think a bit of chrome still looks good...so I'll say don't spray the rest of the front end. Make it yours, however you like it.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Long needed update...

I finally decided to do the chrome, with bed liner.... I am pleasantly surprised, and with the grille guard painted with the same stuff, and the lower lights tinted, this thing looks mean. I'm getting there, slowly but surely. Now wheels are next. I have tint already just not in these pictures. Ill try and get new ones this weekend.

Attachments

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I was considering a red outline on the bow tie, or red in general. I have some red accents, like shock boots, radiator core support, and diff cover...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.