Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I'm very new to the site. Been on for about a week just reading what everyone is talking about. I'm looking into raising my truck and I have a few questions. I use my truck to haul a trailer for some side work (landscaping). I tow about 4,000 miles a year and throw mulch and other types of material in the bed a lot also. Because of this I'm looking to beef up my truck. I'm leaning towards a 4" RC lift and adding 33s to that. Is a RC lift a good way to go? Looks like its a reasonable price and seems like it gets decent reviews.

I know that raising it will help with pulling a trailer, but with beefing up the rear end I am wondering if adding leaf springs is the way to go or add air bags suspension to it. What do you think? Thanks for the help guys.

·
Registered
410 Posts
If your looking to add to it for work purposes, I would go with air bags or Timbren SES airless springs (http://timbren.com/ses-kit-lookup/). From my perspective a lift would just make it more inconvenient to use the bed and tow a trailer due to the difficulty in getting in and out of the bed and the hitch being higher.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Has anyone personally installed a 4" RC lift? I'm looking at buying one for my 04 sierra. I'm wondering if any of the recommended kit accessories are needed for installation.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am looking to install the 4" RC lift on my 04 1500 sierra. My reason for wanting to do the lift is to accommodate bigger tires and improve my overall ride. Also, I'm looking to increase my weight capacity for hauling heavy material in the bed when needed. I use the truck for landscaping so i haul material frequently. In order to do this, I'm looking into adding extra leafs or just install a 5 or 7 leaf pack. Im wondering how this will affect the overall ride of my truck. I know it will be a little stiffer but I'm ok with that. In talking to the RC representatives they say adding a leaf or two will get me what I'm looking for and then for the front all I need to do is tighten the torsion bars to balance the height in the rear. Before I bought anything I wanted to get as much input from you all out there. Let me know what you think. Thanks a lot!

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
You don't want to lift the front end more than 1.5"- 2" using the torsion bars. Anything over that and you'll be asking for worn ball joints, bad CV angles and a rough ride as you'll be limiting your suspension travel. The Rough Country 4" kit relocates the torsion bars, and uses new knuckles. I'd go that route myself.

·
Registered
300 Posts
If you're trying to improve the overall ride, a lift kit and add a leafs aren't gonna be the route you want to take..

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Maybe I shouldn't have said improve my ride. I'm looking to improve my truck for hauling a trailer, and beef up the rear end to be able to haul heavy material in the bed. I am planning on going the route of a 4" lift and getting 33's, and also throwing a leaf spring or 2 in the rear. I'm wondering if this is a good solution to what I am looking to do.

·
Registered
395 Posts
The add a leaf can help out a little with weight capacity but more to keep from sagging. You still have the same axle under there so you can/should only load up for what thats rated for as well.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Currently my truck is leveled with torsion bar lift keys cranked up and a 1" block added to the rear. I have the front 1/2" lower than rear and also installed timbren ses kit in the back to minimize sag when towing. http://timbren.com/timbren-ses/ I am now planning to go back to stock torsion keys and do a rough country 6" lift but decrank the keys as much as I can as to only lift 4.5 - 5" so I can still hook and tow a 5th wheel level. And get a softer ride then now with the keys cranked up tight. Make any sense? The timbrens help with sag but dont affect the ride until loaded where add a leaf will in theory give you firmer ride unloaded.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
That's a nice looking truck. Similar to mine. Everything you said makes sense. I like the idea of those timbrens. They look easy to install too. So you install those to the rear springs and they assist with sag in hauling but just driving normal they aren't even noticed right? Not added lift to bed?

·
Registered
135 Posts
i just got my truck back from the shop i have an 05 chevy with the 4 inch lift. it looks insanely awesome. have yet to tow anything yet.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Ya here are some pictures. I assume you were talking to me.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.