Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so i may have multiple issues going on here but I am not sure. Truck has started overheating in the last few days but it seems fine as long as i am moving. I was able to make it overheat in the driveway and AC on/off did not appear to make a difference. Today while parked and idling at about 3k the AC compressor (or compressor clutch) starting squealing and smoking, it did this for about 5-10 seconds and stopped. To add to the list the cooling fans (electric) are not coming on at all (hot, cold, AC, no AC). The AC has not been blowing near as cold as usual and blows warm unless I am moving.

Due to the slew of issues going on I am at a loss of where to even begin, any insight would be appreciated. Thanks.

Kyle

· Registered
2,304 Posts
If your fans are not working that will cause all your problems. High pressure in the AC and overheating motor. Once your moving things cool down. Start checking for fuses and wiring. Put 12 volts directly to the fans to check them.

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I checked the fuses last night and will check the relays after work today. Hopefully it is that simple.

Would the fans not working account for the AC not working as good as it should be? The noise/smoke from the compressor pulley/clutch is concerning...

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
New fans are in and come on once the truck warms up (~200 degrees). The fans do NOT come on when the AC and i believe i read somewhere that they should??

AC still isn't cold. The smoking and squealing the compressor did last week still concerns me...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.