Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner

05 Silverado 'clunk'

2K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  DrakeDawg63 
#1 ·
Hey y'all
I have an 05 Silverado 1500 crew cab. I have been noticing a clunking noise happening when I go over bumps. I also notice it when I come to a complete stop when the truck transfers the weight to the front and back to a dead stop. Not sure if it makes a difference but I do have rear drum brakes on the truck. Any input would be helpful.
Thanks,
Brandon

#2 ·
my 05 crewcab was doing the same thing thought it was the brakes too but while trying to get rid of my vibration at 45mph i changed the u joints and it went away the ujoints looked ok but it went away i also put some grease in the slip joint on the tranny side so it was one or the other.by the way i changed both rear drum and adjuted the brakes and the noise didnt go away

#3 ·
if its a thump like when driving over speed bumps at low speed in a parking lot then its probably your front sway bar. You can usually order the bushings and links online fairly cheap and their are videos on replacing them on youtube.

If it is u-joints then there should be a little play in your drive shaft when you push/pull on the shaft. Just crawl under there and try to move it. Any movement will need replacement. (unless you have a press the aluminum ones are impossible to replace yourself) The auto parts store system has the parts listed as front u-joint and rear u-joint. I found out that that doesnt mean the front and back of the shaft it really means they need two for the rear and two for the front driveshaft if you have 4wd.

#6 ·
djlove said:
Just crawl under there and try to move it. Any movement will need replacement. (unless you have a press the aluminum ones are impossible to replace yourself) The auto parts store system has the parts listed as front u-joint and rear u-joint. I found out that that doesnt mean the front and back of the shaft it really means they need two for the rear and two for the front driveshaft if you have 4wd.
If you do need to replace your u-joints and have an aluminum drive shaft, you CAN do it yourself without a press. I just did mine a few weeks ago. Place your driveshaft on 2 jack stands and spray up the u-joints with some lubricant (PB Blaster, WD40, ect...). Get something with a smaller diameter than the hole the u-joint fits into and hammer the old one out. After you hammer it down, when you get it far enough, pop the cap off the side that now protrudes through the hole. Make sure the end your hammering has a jack stand closest to the end of the shaft, right on the welded seam at the end. Be careful during this process as it is a very delicate aluminum.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.