Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have some bulbs flickering / not working in my HVAC unit (auto a/c version with temp display). I haven't taken it apart yet to look at the bulbs but can someone tell me the regular incandescent bulb #?

I know replacing with LEDs is a common thing. Are there LEDs that have an incandescent color / brightness and aren't completely white like typical LEDs?

· Super Moderator, Servicemen, SS Guru
10,657 Posts
I don't think it's a simple small incandescant bulb replacement. Pretty sure they are soldered on to the board itself, within the module.

If you went with LED, about 3500-4300 would be a yellow-ish light, similar to a household bulb. If you wanted whiter, go to 4500-5000, but also be aware that LEDs are typically brighter and it may be too bright when driving at night.

If you take it apart and find them easy to replace, please post it here, as I have some HVAC area lights out as well, and just deal with it...

I've been putting off replacing the steering wheel buttons for a while now, even after the wife bought me new switches in 2014, because I've heard it's just a pain in the ass without taking the wheel off, which means the airbag and other crap, and I don't need them that badly...but I should just to make the wife happy..lol

· Supr Moderator AutoTech SS-Guru Mbr Extraordinaire
2015 High Country Duramax
20,657 Posts
They really aren't that hard to replace if your handy with a soldering iron. I've found a needle tip works best since you can pinpoint the heat.

· Super Moderator, Servicemen, SS Guru
10,657 Posts
I believe they are tiny regular bulbs, 12v, 25Ma.. Radio Shack probably has them, not sure of part number though.

There are also Youtube videos showing how to do this.. I might give it a go next year..

· Registered
12 Posts
The bulbs are soldered in. I have an 06 Silverado with dual zone manual adjust climate. The two lights went out behind the sliding knobs and I upgraded my cluster to blue LEDs so I decided to do the HVAC while I was at it and There was 8 bulbs total that I could see. I replaced all 8 but it appears the two bulbs on the sliders are 12v but the other 6 (3 around each of the circular knobs) may be a different voltage due to them being barley lit up at all... I checked all the bulbs too on a 12v circuit and the lit up to full brightness so I know the bulbs are fine. I read somewhere on here that they may be 6v around the circular knobs, but I didn't find anything definite. Hopefully someone one here can clarify so I can figure out what I need to get to go back in there and finish the job. Also someone mentioned that the LEDS are much brighter than incandescent bulbs which is true, but I am still able to dim them with my dimmer switch if needed so that really isn't an issue for me.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.