Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner

06 Steering Wheel Lights Out

529 views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  ricka182 
#1 ·
How probable is it that with the switches still working, the problem is the lights themselves and not the clock spring?

#2 ·
100%. I have the same issue. Half of my wheel buttons are out, the others are fine. But most of them are faded from use, and I just know where each button is by now. My wife got me Dorman replacements in 2014, but I still haven't gotten around to doing it. But I think I'll give it a go next year with better weather.

I waited because they are a pain in the ass to do, and the wire they give to connect it stupidly short. So just popping them out may leave you with a hole in the wheel if you can't get the new one back in. The technically correct way is to remove the wheel, which means the airbag as well, and then doing it from the back side...but I didn't want to mess with the wheel. But I also don't need the wife reminding me every Christmas that I haven't done it yet...

#4 ·
That is, I believe the same thread I found a while back when I asked Santa Wife to get me the replacements. I then read how it is a pain to get that wire harness back in, even with a knife to hold it.

So it can be done, but is just a bit more difficult, especially for larger hands...

#6 ·
Patience? Damn.. I'm screwed... But I may have to try it anyway this weekend...wife is going away for her Mothers B-day, so I'm sure she'd be delighted to see the bag of boxes of switched gone because I finally did it...lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.