Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I drive a 2017 Chevy Silverado in this morning went to the truck and noticed my back seat was soaked as well as my roof from the back area I called Chevy and they stated they cannot look at the truck till another week but truck only has 100 miles on it it is 1.5 weeks old this is uncalled for what do I do is this a common thing ?perhaps my 3rd brake light seal ? :x

· Registered
827 Posts
It sucks this is happening on a brand new truck but the best thing you can do is calmly take it back to the dealer and express your displeasure as well as your concerns for water damage and mold growth, etc. It's a brand new truck, I would think if you take the issue high enough (calmly) you could maybe get a different one off the lot...

· Registered
2,304 Posts
Probably 3rd brake light. I would take it apart myself and at least look at it and possibly fix it myself. Then if you have any staining I would have the dealer fix that.

· Member Extraordinaire, How-To Author, TOTM
23,197 Posts
Yep. If the service guys run you around talk to the guy who sold you the truck. It's how I got a loner and mine sat until they could look at it.

What happens if you get caught a downpour

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Member Extraordinaire, Servicemen, How-To Author
17,133 Posts
98% sure it will be the brake light. If it was me, I would drive to the dealer I bought it from and ask them to fix it. If they say they are booked up and can't do it for a week, fine, have them store it inside until they can fix it and give you a loaner in the mean time. My guess is that you will be rolling out of the service bay that day with a new 3rd brake light or at least a new gasket for the light. You might casually mention that you wouldn't mind switching straight up with another 2017 sitting out on the lot if they want to take their time with fixing that truck.
I am all for being calm and reasonable in dealing with these kinds of issues, but the fix for your problem doesn't involve removing the heads from the motor or anything like that. It is a 15 minute diagnosis and 10 minute fix. Maybe a day if they have to order a gasket or complete light.

Now if replacing headliners and seats is necessary, then I can see a bit more time being needed. Either way, I wouldn't have my brand new $50,000 truck out in the rain, letting even more rain into the interior.

· Member Extraordinaire, Servicemen, How-To Author
17,133 Posts
I expect they will be true to their word, however, I wouldn't blame you for taking a little drive by later this evening.

· Registered
827 Posts
esox07 said:
98% sure it will be the brake light. If it was me, I would drive to the dealer I bought it from and ask them to fix it. If they say they are booked up and can't do it for a week, fine, have them store it inside until they can fix it and give you a loaner in the mean time. My guess is that you will be rolling out of the service bay that day with a new 3rd brake light or at least a new gasket for the light. You might casually mention that you wouldn't mind switching straight up with another 2017 sitting out on the lot if they want to take their time with fixing that truck.
I am all for being calm and reasonable in dealing with these kinds of issues, but the fix for your problem doesn't involve removing the heads from the motor or anything like that. It is a 15 minute diagnosis and 10 minute fix. Maybe a day if they have to order a gasket or complete light.

Now if replacing headliners and seats is necessary, then I can see a bit more time being needed. Either way, I wouldn't have my brand new $50,000 truck out in the rain, letting even more rain into the interior.
In my 1 week old truck, everything and anything that got wet that isn't metal or plastic would be replaced. Seats, carpets, headliner, fabric pillars, speakers, maybe even wiring (or at least I would make them put my concern about wiring into the report in case it becomes a problem). It's a brand new truck so I would be ensuring I get my brand new truck back, not a truck with possibly water damaged parts.

· Super Moderator, Servicemen, SS Guru
10,659 Posts
I would definitely keep all paperwork related to this, and if you ever see any staining or have any issues in that area, you have the back up to protect yourself. At least they did keep it inside, and it did rain quite a bit last night here in lovely MA..

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.