Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

· Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings, well after finally getting my engine in good form for the most part (still a shudder at idle now and then) I am heading through Texas to New Mexico for a week with about 1700 miles of route and probably all E10 after I leave Oklahoma. Other than the drop in mileage, will several tanks in a row wreck my new fuel filter and clean injectors, etc? The fuel will likely only sit overnight as I traverse the state and then I will be back in Oklahoma with 100% gas in about six days. I have the ethanol treatment bottles available but I imagine those are mostly for long term fuel sitting in the tank? I can't think of anything that would actually protect any parts on my truck that are not "flex fuel" specific. I have a choice of taking my VW turbo diesel on the trip but it is small and I really want to take the truck, lol but also don't want to chase codes or clogging due to the solvent effect for which ethanol is blamed.

· Registered
316 Posts
Is there something different about your truck that E10 would affect? All cars and trucks were once fed with 100% pure gas, then changed over to E10 when the law came into effect. I haven't heard of any problems. In fact, before E10 was a thing, there was a gas station near me that sold it, and I would use it whenever possible since it was cleaner burning. Now I try to use 100% gas when I can, but only to gain 1 or 2% mpg.

· Registered
4,368 Posts
Now this is paranoia I haven't seen in some time. I have been using E10 or more since the late 70's without a single fuel related issue. A 1974 Pontiac Catalina got it till it died in the mid 90's with body cancer. Everything that has been made since the 80's has components that are made for E10. While I have ethanol free regular and premium all around me in my area, I refuse to pay the inflated price for the stuff, except for some of my small engine needs. The price between E10 and E0 in my area is such that one would have to get 5 mpg better fuel economy just to break even with E0 on a cost per mile basis. That is highly unlikely even on a good day.

So I just use E10, E15, E20, E30, or E85 depending on how the pricing is seasonally. But it is good that some have an irrational fear of the stuff. Keeps my costs lower. E85 is going for $1.39 a gallon right now.

· Registered
1,552 Posts
You can run E10 in just about anything. Some lawn equipment and other 2 stroke engines don't like it but an automotive engine is just fine with it. E85 on the other hand you'd need a flex fuel capable vehicle. Would make very little difference to run E10 in it for the rest of it's life. It's only 10% or less ethanol in E10.

· Registered
1,552 Posts
A station I hit regularly on my way home from work has E10 on the pumps. But they also have signs that state that ethanol content is below 5%. However EPA regulations being what they are. Any amount of ethanol in gasoline, even just a few parts per million, has to be labeled as E10 if the content is below the 10%.

· Registered
4,368 Posts
The Federal Trade Commission controls pump labeling, not the EPA. And the FTC does not require E10 or less pumps to be labeled as containing ethanol. I wonder how many folks, thinking they were buying ethanol free fuel, actually were getting E10.

http://pmcofiowa.com/news/295933/FTC-Et ... 4-2016.htm

· Registered
787 Posts
I have owned my 1999 Silverado (298,000 miles) since 2001 and since I have had it every ounce of gas has be E10. One fuel filter and the same injectors since new. BTW I also use E10 in all of my small engines and never a problem. I have a John Deere, Briggs two cylinder 18 HP engine, riding mower, 17 years old and have always used E10, no problems. Anything above E10 I have no experience with.

· Registered
1,552 Posts
The labeling is on a state by state basis. PA where I am from is one of only 5 states including Alaska, Florida, Maine, Pennsylvania, Wisconsin that are regulated as needing to always be labeled. Wyoming labels anything with ethanol in it as "Gasahol" though does not necessitate a percentage being marked. In Pennsylvania the EPA and DCNR both do spot checks at fuel stations to make sure that things are both properly labeled as well as having proper up to date equipment. Had to deal with both of them coming in on the same day to inspect when I worked at a gas station for a short time.

· Servicemen
2021 GMC Sierra Denali CC 4WD Ultimate 6.2L
5,369 Posts
The OP may be confused between E10 and E85. As copperhead said, ethanol has been in gasoline since the 80's and its no problem for the engine at that level.

Only Louisiana, Minnesota, Missouri, Montana, Oregon, Pennsylvania, and Washington have mandated ethanol to be blended with the fuel.

· Registered
2017 Silverado LTZ Z71
5,360 Posts
I've seen a places in katy and sugar land that have e15.
Pretty much all of them say "contains ethanol" but does not specify the exact qty.

· Member Extraordinaire, Servicemen, How-To Author
17,133 Posts
Your truck and you will not miss a beat on your trip. Just go and have a good time.

· Registered
37 Posts
You'll be fine. I'm from OK and in NM several times a year as my parents own a condo out there. You can find pure gas at some stations, but obviously it's more expensive and harder to find. If you're really worried about it go and get a couple of those little bottles of fuel treatment made by Lucas and put one in when you fill up.

· Member Extraordinaire, Servicemen, How-To Author
17,133 Posts
I would be more concerned that I fill up at a TOP TIER station and not think twice about whether it has 5% or 0% or 10% ethanol. Virtually every vehicle since the mid 70's has been designed to run on the ethanol blend we use today. They have pretty much perfected it quite a while ago. Like some have said that small engines still prefer the ethanol free stuff and that is what I use in them, but there are a lot of automotive motors out there with 200,000 and way beyond that have drank nothing but 87 octane 10% ethanol fuel with no significant problem. I remember back in the early 70's when everyone ran straight gas, a car with 200,000 miles was a huge deal. Now, running the ethanol blend, a guy can reasonably expect his motor to 200,000 and beyond without any serious issue.

http://www.toptiergas.com/licensedbrands/

· Registered
2017 Silverado LTZ Z71
5,360 Posts
I use Top Tier from costco almost religiously, never let me down and runs better than gas from other places.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.