Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
2022 Silverado 1500 CC Z71 w/ LM2
1,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have AFM turned off and my truck has about 111k on it. I have kept up with the trans fluid changes regularly, etc.

Would it be ok if I were to reduce my TM with that many miles? I'm only reducing it about 20%. I'm not installing the 87 tune so I'm manually reducing TM and leaving all other TCM parameters stock since I have the Vette Servo already.

· Registered
1,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm a pretty conservative driver and don't really take off from lights etc very fast. Basically I dont have a heavy foot.

I figured only reducing it by 20% it should still be safe.

· Registered
1,194 Posts
Mossyoakglock said:
I'm a pretty conservative driver and don't really take off from lights etc very fast. Basically I dont have a heavy foot.

I figured only reducing it by 20% it should still be safe.
If your going to continue to baby the truck, why mess with TM at all? Whats the end goal?

· Registered
1,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'd like a little better throttle response and overall better drivability. I've heard that reducing TM will help with this.

It's only 20% and I don't have a heavy foot either. I do occasionally toe but nothing very heavy.

· Member Extraordinaire, How-To Author, TOTM
23,197 Posts
Torque management. 2007.5+ all have it, maybe some years before, im not positive. Helps with MPG and transmission life according to GM. Also helps with making your truck feel like a slug off the line.

· Registered
129 Posts
I've had TM turned off from day 1 since getting my Diablo i2. Mikel over at Diablosport forums has been telling people asking about TM that it's best to leave it on for the trucks. He says that turning it off can lead to sloppy shifts because they use entirely different strategies. I personally haven't run into any shifting issues on my truck with TM off.

· Registered
27 Posts
Thank you for the clarification. I can't imagine my 14 5.3 z71 being stronger from a stop. I am very happy with the power I have available from the factory. I was wanting to have a tune installed after my power train warranty is up, and now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
2001 GMC Sierra 2500HD CCSB
3,145 Posts
Torque Management (and other governors) goes way back, at least to 2000 year GM trucks. This is one of the big items that custom tuning helps with and also part of the reason why "night and day" is thrown around so much lol. 20% shouldn't hurt anything, you may not even notice the difference much unless you already "tested" it.

· Registered
1,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I am going to start with the 20% and see how it feels. If I want more I'll install the 87 Tune which I believe turns off around 50% of TM. I haven't heard anything about sloppy shifts with turning it off. I've actually heard the opposite. The shifts are sloppy with it on and they are better with it off/reduced. Maybe it's a '14+ thing and not a GMT-900 thing?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.