Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Member Extraordinaire, How-To Author, TOTM
23,197 Posts
Decided to go ahead and install my differential drop. I refused to install a RC drop where they make you cut your cross member and use their skid plate. Found this one on eBay.

I first tried to install it with the RC lower leveling spacer and this happened. I tried to get ahead of the game before installing coil overs, and their description said it would with with 2-4in kits. But didn't specify top or bottom spacers.

I put it in my tool box and forgot about it until now.

Was an easy install. Took two hours by myself, doing one side at a time. All instructions tell you to remove the entire diff, no need for that. A long jigsaw blade and a file will do the trick to remove the fin
IMG_4060.JPG

IMG_4061.JPG

I had to file off a little edge on the back of the diff to completely clear the cross member. But there is clearance
IMG_4062.JPG

I used some thick stainless washers to space the stock metal skid plate away from the diff. No loss in ground clearance.
IMG_4065.JPG

IMG_4070.JPG

Here is before and after once it's settled. Before the CV was at the same angle as the tie rod.
9FDCC6B0-A3A5-49C5-A095-4C0586F2BFDB.jpg

I would recommend this kit if you leveled your truck using coil overs, upper strut spacer, or 5100s. Cheap and easy way to get back some factory angles.

This is the kit
https://www.ebay.com/itm/141349204918

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Attachments

· SilveradoSierra Guru, How-To Author
2009 Silverado LT 4WD
9,666 Posts
Good write up! And just for future knowledge with the lower spacers...with this type of diff drop you can only use up to a 1" lower leveling kit and it still barley clears the axle. But it does clear.

23,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I didn't want to jump the gun and say this, just incase it was a placebo affect. New parts must = problems fixed. but after install I noticed a decrease in vibration, and after just installing the same kit on a 2016 tonight, his vibration is also gone, even with MT tires its almost perfectly smooth well above your average speed limit. So even with just a 2.5in level, the angle it puts the CVs at still cause some slight vibes.

· Registered
3 Posts
Hey, I have question doing the drop spacers. In trying to do this myself also but at the moment I dont have another set of hands. U have any tricks to get those bolts off. I'm having a hard time,with the front driver side mount and the rear passanger side. I cant hold the socket on top and when I wedge it the impact just bounces it off

· Registered
1 Posts
just got my diff drop kit in. was looking under the truck this weekend and it looks like the passenger side of the diff housing extension could come into contact with the electric power steering box and connections. especially the motor that is on the diff. is that not the case? does everything clear fine and it's just my eyes playing tricks on me? also, did you do anything to the cross member to get you some more clearance or are you just running with that small clearance? wondering if the diff twists at all and makes contact with the cross member.

23,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It was close to the steering connections but it never touched. And no just filed the diff. Didn't touch the crossmember and I never had any issues.

· Registered
34 Posts
I just wanted to mention that this thread helped me out. I did some experimentation with a 2.5" spacer and a 3" spacer.

I purchased an eBay diff drop, had 1" spacers. They were a bit too thick to fit well and the new bolts were too short. I ordered another one with 1/2" thick spacers and those fit perfectly but also came with bolts that were too short so I used the ones from the first kit.

I too hammered the crossmember and shaved the cooling fins. All my other close tolerances were no less than 1/2". This was more difficult than my spacer install because of how tight the space is to get your hands in there.

Note for anyone that sees this. I did a 2.5" spacer, had no vibrations at 85mph. I put in a 3" spacer and had vibrations. Added the diff drop and all that went away.

These trucks really seem to max out at a 2.5" front spacer lift. I went with the 3" for looks (3/2 lift) but it's pushing it for sure, a diff drop was necessary and there's a very small amount of down travel now, no excess.

· Registered
2017 Silverado LTZ Z71
5,360 Posts
The largest spacer you can put under the strut is 1" thick (for 2" lift)
As you can see in these pics, the tolerance with coilovers is a lot more. These are set at a little over 3" of lift with the 1" diff drop. The camera angle sucks and the wheels are turned so it looks like the angles are bad.

· Registered
34 Posts
To add something more on the 2.5" vs 3" differences, the 2.5" did not cause the tire to rub on the stamped control arms. The 3" does cause rub. Looks like 1/4" wheel spacers are in my future. I'm hoping to clear 275/65r20 on stock rims with this setup.

· Supr Moderator AutoTech SS-Guru Mbr Extraordinaire
2015 High Country Duramax
20,657 Posts
I would not do 1/4" spacers. Or spacers at all preferably.

If you must get spacers then hub centric is the only way I'd ever go.

23,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yes. Because the clearances are less because your suspension is almost at full droop. Ditch the 3in and go with a 2.5in.

Your ball joints and back will thank you.

· Registered
34 Posts
Thank you all for the concern. 1/4" will be fine and still leave full lug thread engagement. Spacers are not ideal but I've run both styles on numerous vehicles in the past for combined totals of hundreds of thousand of miles and I am not concerned.

The 2.5" spacer is the max I would recommend. I am trying out the 3" and I do think it is pushing the limits. I have a friend with 140k miles on a 3" and original ball joints and he never did a diff drop. He did have an unrelated need to change a transmission in that time though. Lucky with the lift perhaps?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.