Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Didn't get any action on my previous post so this is my next attempt. The pro comp sales rep told me that the 17 x 9 will stick out a just a little bit more, but in general will push the wheel outside of the wheel well allowing for more space behind the tire in the wheel well, in turn allowing me to put larger tires on in the future if I want to.

Hope he wasn't wrong. Sounded like he knew what he was talking about.

·
Registered
3,084 Posts
Pushing the wheel outward doesn't affect anything until you go to turn, in which case having the wheel stick out further causes a wider circle to be made by the tires from the perspective of the ball joints. Ultimately it means you have to run smaller tires to keep your self from rubbing, unless you want to trim. This is my truck with 285/70r17, 17x8 Pro Comp 7005 with 0mm offset and a 2.5" levelling kit:

The 17x9 @-6 will stick out roughly half inch from what I have.

BTW - It would have been better to bump your old thread than create a new one, it keeps all the info in one location rather than 2 seperate spots. It's also generally a good idea to wait a minimum of 24 hours before bumping a thread as the people with the answers are not always online 24/7.

Also, how much lift does your truck have? That plays a big role in whether or not you rub. The NBS trucks have more room than the NNBS trucks do. I was rubbing a little with 2.5" levelling kit. I think that on a NBS, you probably wouldn't rub.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dmanj,

Thanks for getting on this brother. Your truck has been my drive for my upgrade from the get go. I love how your trucks lookin man, kudos. I liked your set up a lot, and wasn't quite sure how different the two offsets would look.

Your right about what you said about my threads. I do apologize, I was just trying to get some answers before they shipped. Been on the phone all day with 4wheelparts. Unfortunately, they have now shipped and I'm not in the mood to send them back once they arrive. I ended up going with the -6 4.75 BS. I have the full RC leveling kit on my truck. I believe between 3-3.5 in the front and blocks in the back with all new struts.

I really hope everything looks good and fits! Really hoping it looks similar to your truck. You are running 285's right?

·
Registered
3,084 Posts
Thanks. The 7005 is one of my favourite 17" wheels. I am running 285/70r17s. Your style truck has more room in the wheel wells than mine, so you may not rub to badly, but you may have to trim a bit to if they do rub. I'm sure they will look awesome on your truck though.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Dmanj... I'll keep ya posted. I find it weird that when you push them out further, you rub more. Still trying to understand the physics on that one. Or geometry... Whatever ha

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I will def be keeping this post up to date with pics and info. This seems to be a pretty hot topic around other truck forums too.

All those diagrams and links I had mostly seen before. It def helped me understand a lot. But in the end, as much as I studied them I could never really get the answer I was looking for. On that note though, so many people across the web have totally different understandings of what offset and back space is. I've seen some people measure back space from the front, and others from the back. And som people think - offset pulls the rims inside the well, and some say the opposite. It's crazy. They need to study these links.

·
Administrator
2009 Chevy Z71; sounds fast.
6,973 Posts
09chevyman said:
Maybe read through this a little, to help understand backspacing and offset, and how it affects rubbing issues.
Will this Fit? Tire Sizing and Wheel Spacing Explained
Thanks for the plug Brian. OP, after you read the initial write up, be sure to read this post... Will this Fit? Tire Sizing and Wheel Spacing Explained on page 10 of that thread. It really adds a lot of understanding to my initial thought; fills in some gaps. There is a huge amount of information throughout that thread...it really is a "must read" for anyone who is considering changing their offset.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.