Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, long story,

My father has a 1993 Chevy 1500 vortec v6, he was using it to help someone move when it just died....had no electric to anything. So we get the truck to my brothers house, start looking and the main wire running to the starter is resting on the exhaust manifold, burned through. Replaced that wire, the truck has nothing... replaced the negative wire to the block..figuring it might be burned, truck has nothing, there is a distribution block on the passenger side wheel well, with a fuel pump relay on one side, fuel pump fuse on the other, with a block in the center...according to me meter there is 12.5 volts to that block.. but no power to anything in the truck, or the coil....

I am stumped, I have also ran jumpers to bypass a few fuse-able links...still have nothing.

What am I missing?

·
Registered
413 Posts
Might want to check all of the fuses just to be sure. Could have shorted something during the whole process. I believe in those trucks the main fuse panel is under the dash on the drivers side.

You also might want to check the battery and alternator?

·
Registered
144 Posts
If it died while it was running, I'd think it's likely got an issue with the alternator or the connections to the alternator. As for why you have no juice to anything that should run off the battery, I've got no clue. I'd just start with where you say you have power and work your way through the harness checking power at every connection.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Rockinagain said:
Replaced the battery, sides were bulging...I assume it got hot from shorting out...

Is there a main fuse...aside from the regular fuse box?
I think there is one on the drivers side fender wall or maybe the fire wall. I am trying to remember back to my brother's '92 454SS truck. Have you tried hooking up jumper cables to it and another vehicle?

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the help... finally found it, lol... brand new battery from Autozone turned out to be bad, took the starter, alternator up to be tested... both checked out good, he asked if the battery was ok... I told him it was brand new and that I had just bought it from there after the truck had died due to the grounded starter wire...he said "yeah but I would check it anyway...it wouldn't be the first time we sold a bad battery" , went home, put the voltmeter on it... ooops... bad battery. They replaced it... through it in the truck...fired right up.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I had the same thing happened to me on a 94 Chevy it turned out to be what's called a buzz box. If you're familiar with it I had 12 volts on the motor side but check the voltage going into your fuse panel I had maybe one volt so I have power to nothing I replace several hours as you did still nothing the bus box was not allowed to voltage to be distributed to the vehicle. I had to replace my wiring harness it was the only way I could get a buzz box. Good luck I will also say make sure the accessory block on the firewall that you mention is all snug and all wires tight. But you not get power to anything even the headlights I would say buzz box power distributed through your fuse panel check that first if no power to the fuse panel at all has to go through the buzz box

·
Registered
4 Posts
My 1994 gmc 1500 has no power, I can turn on the Headlights however when I turn the key nothing, no click, no gauge jump, nothing. I recently replaced the trans however I wouldn't think that would have anything to do with it. I replace the power wire going to the starter and the ignition switch, I'm at a lost, and tired of messing with it. Any ideas?

·
Administrator
7,798 Posts
What happens when you turn the key with the lights on, do they dim or stay at full brightness?

·
Premium Member
2015 Silverado LT Texas Edition
5,082 Posts
Isicclark said:
My 1994 gmc 1500 has no power, I can turn on the Headlights however when I turn the key nothing, no click, no gauge jump, nothing. I recently replaced the trans however I wouldn't think that would have anything to do with it. I replace the power wire going to the starter and the ignition switch, I'm at a lost, and tired of messing with it. Any ideas?
What do you mean you replaced the power wire going to the starter and ignition switch?
Have you checked all your fuses and grounds? (Including the "mega fuse?")

And BTW.....you shouldn't really resurrect a thread that's 5 or 7 years old. Do your search and research first, of course, but if none of the old info is helpful, start a new thread......

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.