Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner

2.7L vs 6.0 Duramax

3K views 14 replies 11 participants last post by  eyrx 
#1 ·
I've got a job where I regularly travel 55,000 to 60,000 miles a year. My current pickup is a Ford F150(long story). Because of how much I travel, I'd like to find something that will last a few years and be fairly economical. I was set on the 6 cylinder Duramax because of the fuel economy, but with diesel prices so ridiculous, I'm now considering the 2.7l turbo 4 cylinder. Has anyone looked at a detailed comparison between those 2 engines? Longevity, fuel economy, and upkeep?

#3 ·
They haven't been out very long but both seem to be fantastic choices.

The 4 cylinder is going to be cheaper on the upkeep most likely. Fuel economy the diesel takes it but is most likely a wash since it is more expensive.

#4 ·
Plus you have to spend $2K+ every 150K on the Duramax to replace the oil pump belt if you want to keep it running. With your miles that would happen every three years, so maybe you'll trade it in before that.

#6 ·
I don't have any experience with the baby duramax, but the only thing that kept me away from it was the rising prices in late 2021. I went with the 2.7 L3B. I haven't had any problems with the motor. I usually receive about 19-21MPG, also counting that it is leveled and on Falken AT3Ws.

The only thing I've done is oil changes with a tire rotation. I purchased mine with 18K miles now it's at 41k. Longeivity is unsure as it's a new setup for GM but if I can get about 150k miles I'll be satisifed.

Overall, people sleep on it as they prefer the big V8s and I totally agree they are badass, but when the GM trucks have to get bundled with other packages to step into a V8, is where I said no thanks.

#8 ·
I've watched the regular gas vs diesel price ratio since the '70's.
Imo, the ratio It isn't likely to stay as it is today.

If it's a factor in the decision, the powertrain warranty on the 3.0 is 100,000 miles vs 60,000 on the gas engines.

2.7 is only available with the 8 speed (supposed to have the issues corrected)
All other 1500's get the 10 speed.
(The 6 speed is gone)

#9 · (Edited)
I was just looking at a 2023 GMC Sierra Elevation "In Transit" to a local dealer and the 3.0L engine is $2390 extra.

An Elevation with a 2.7L TURBO HIGH-OUTPUT ENGINE -1,500.00 CREDIT

So the 3.0L will cost you more money, $3890 in my example. ? is the slight increase in fuel economy but increased maintenance worth the added expense of Higher fuel prices, def fluid, special oil, fuel filters etc.

#10 ·
Thanks for all the input. This is helpful. I realize the price discrepancy between diesel and gas fluctuates over time, but I don't see it getting any better in the near future. My bigger concern is maintenance and other long term concerns. Although it seems GM is putting that 2.7 in everything, so maybe there's a reason they seem so confident in it.

#11 ·
Personally, I would go with the diesel....

The 2.7 hasn't been around long enough for me to trust that it's sliding camshafts are going to hold up long term... Not to mention that the typical life cycle of a diesel is always greater than a gas engine. So, if you are planning on putting 3-400,000 miles on this truck, I would think the diesel would get you there. I don't know that the gasser would...

#13 ·
This used to be a foregone conclusion, but not so much anymore, IME. While the engine components are still built to diesel specs (which should lend itself to long-term reliability), all of the required EPA systems are the (expensive) Achilles heel. DEF injectors, heaters, pumps, sensors, particle filters, and numerous other parts can get expensive quickly once you're out of warranty. I've owned many diesels in my day and simply avoid them now. My view would be different if I were towing 50%+ of the time

As mentioned, the 2.7 doesn't have a crazy long track record yet, but it's not exactly new. When compared to a lot of recently-launched engines, it seems to be well on the more-reliable side. I'm a new 2.7 owner so I can't provide personal long-term ownership experience yet. I only drive ~30K miles per year. I find the driving dynamics of the 2.7 very similar to small diesels I've driven over the years, which is one of the main reasons I chose it.

#15 ·
The interior is amazing! I will say some of the exterior design cues are a little questionable, but it depends on your taste. I definitely don't know if I owned a GMC truck again, I'd prob look at other competitors first. Lol :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.