Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Searched but couldn't find anything on this but I've got a 2000 GMC Sierra with a 5.3l v8 2wd extended cab. I've been thinking about installing 3" lift spindles/knuckles to level the front end out as it has a lot of front end rake and also for the added ground clearance. What are the pros and cons of this type of lift?
Thanks in advance for the help!

·
Administrator
2009 Chevy Z71; sounds fast.
6,973 Posts
Years ago I lifted a '94 Silverado with a 3" spindle lift (and a taller block in the rear for the full effect). I can't think of anything bad about doing that since it allowed me to put 33 x 12.50s under a 2wd truck. The only thing you may have to worry about is the thickness of the knuckle; if it is thicker. In that case, you may have to change wheels to something with less backspacing. I don't foresee that being the case on a spindle lift, but it has been a couple years, obviously. Just check with the manufacturer of the spindle to see if that is the case. Of course, if you already have after market wheels WITH less backspacing, you can disregard most of my post. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
404 Posts
Yeah, a spindle lift is definitely the way to go. All good suspension lifts use them, usually with the addition of coil spacers. Best thing is, they allow u to retain the stock control arm geometry. Previous poster is right though, they will push ur front wheels out. I combatted this with 1.5" wheel adapters for the rear, def the way to go vs wheel spacers.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
About how much will it move the front tires out compared to the rear? I would also assume that if it moves the front wheels out that it would fit with my stock 16" rims. Also what is the difference between 'wheel adapters' and 'wheel spacers'? I'm new to this suspension stuff so trying to learn as much as possible before I end up screwing something up and costing myself more money by not doing it right the first time.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Well my rears look to be about even with the fronts now, so the spindles will push the fronts out at least an 1 1/2". Not sure about those wheels. Some spindles require min 17" wheels, but check with the manufacturer. Wheel spacers use the existing lugs and shorten the available thread, while wheel adapters have lugs built in, so u screw them on first and then attach ur wheels.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I have 2004 Sierra and I am wanting to put a Rough Country 3in lift on my truck. The kit includes new knuckles for the front and my questions is will i need wheel spacers or adapters for these new knuckles or not? Any help or knowledge will be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Do you know what size wheels your truck has? Are they factory rims or aftermarket? (if you are worried about backspacing in the front)

The front track will be wider after a knuckle lift, so some people put spacers on the rear to make it even but this is not necessary. If you look at this picture of my old 06 with 3" RC knuckles, you can tell the tires stick outside the body more in the front than in the back.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have a 2000 silvy z71 with a procomp 4" lift and i would like to put a 2-3" lift spindle to equal a 6" lift. My question for yall is will the spindles work with the lift already on it or am i better off getting the 6" kit?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.