Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
2000 Silverado 1500, Base, 4.8, standard cab
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2000 Chevy Silverado 1500, Base model, 4.8 L V8 Gas, standard cab, 2-door

I have some aftermarket LED cargo lights that have always had an intermittent flicker. I previously assumed a problem with the LEDs. However, I am now seeing the flicker on the headlamps too. It's mostly noticeable at night when the light is reflected back from a road sign or my garage door. The alternator had been changed (AC Delco) a couple years ago because of bad bearings, but that made no difference.

So I think it best to inspect all the grounds if I can find them. I am hoping somebody can share with me the factory service manual page with the chart that lists out the ground strap locations.

Thank you!

· SilveradoSierra Guru
1999 Silverado LT LQ4 2006 Sierra SLT LBZ
4,541 Posts
In my experience the LED cargo lights flicker sometimes but mostly when I hit the unlock.

The headlights though is most definitely a ground or the bulb isn't plugged in all the way

· Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
In my experience the LED cargo lights flicker sometimes but mostly when I hit the unlock.
My truck does not have factory electric locks. Although, sometimes these LEDs are not flickering, which is why I think a ground is flaky.

The headlights though is most definitely a ground or the bulb isn't plugged in all the way.
It's both headlights though so I'm thinking ground; a list to the strap locations would be most helpful.

· Registered
2 Posts
I think there's only three straps one that comes direct off the engine block to ground one on firewall to block and one that grounds the fuel system. But if we were just talking ground locations I would check two locations for sure. One is a wire under battery tray you gotta remove battery and tray then look under where tray was 2nd is outer side driver frame rail by the body mount just behind front tire this is one of the grounds for the body control module that always get gunked I would check these two

· Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think there's only three straps one that comes direct off the engine block to ground one on firewall to block and one that grounds the fuel system. But if we were just talking ground locations I would check two locations for sure. One is a wire under battery tray you gotta remove battery and tray then look under where tray was
Ok thank you! Will check.

2nd is outer side driver frame rail by the body mount just behind front tire this is one of the grounds for the body control module that always get gunked I would check these two
Already cleaned this one last year.

From what I have seen in service manuals for other years/models is that there is a whole list of ground locations, a lot more than two or three. Would be great if somebody could share this one page with me.

· Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
FYI, you can buy that 10k total page set of service manuals on PDF for less than $10, (disc, download, or pdf). All the schematics, torque specs for every bolt, repair procedures, diagnostic procedures, specialty tools, parts diagrams. Mine is 3K pages on the engines, 800 pages on the brakes.
2000 silverado service manual pdf | eBay
Did you get yours from eBay? How was the quality of the PDF?

I was skeptical that a couple hundred dollar book would be available on eBay so cheap via disc.

· Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
This one on eBay is called "Factory Service Manual"...

Chevrolet Silverado 2000 to 2006 Service Repair Workshop Manual | eBay

They posted this disclaimer in the listing: "We legally own the content (intellectual property). This factory manual has no connection with Haynes, Autodata, Car manufacturer or other products. The content of this item is our production and the information are gathered by us due to our experience or thanks to information distributed freely and globally under the terms of the GNU Public License, the GNU Lesser General Public License (LGPL) and interpreted by us."

Seems kinda fishy. How can this be a "Factory Service Manual" when their copyright disclaimer says it has nothing to do with the factory? :oops:

· Banned
1,050 Posts
Different seller, but same thing. I'm not sure what you mean "quality of the pdf". Its a digital version of the manual. Same pages in pdf and not on paper.

It sounds like they acquired this information (for free), and are providing it also for free, with a service charge. If anything it sounds like you have your disclaimer if you need it.

· Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Different seller, but same thing. I'm not sure what you mean "quality of the pdf". Its a digital version of the manual. Same pages in pdf and not on paper.
Assuming the source was paper that somebody had to scan and convert to PDF, the quality can be anything from readable to complete garbage that looks like a bad photocopy. I was reading eBay reviews and a few were complaining about this. Figured I'd ask since it sounds like you bought one already.

It sounds like they acquired this information (for free), and are providing it also for free, with a service charge. If anything it sounds like you have your disclaimer if you need it.
Well, it's not really a "factory" service manual if it's not a service manual from GM.

· SilveradoSierra Guru
2004 Sierra 3500 6.0L, auto, extended cab, cab&chassis, upgraded to 4wd
3,178 Posts
Yow. I was going to suggest alldatadiy.com, but they seem to have jacked their prices. IIRC, the last time I check a year or two ago, it was $45 for 5 years, and now it's $130 for 3...

· Registered
557 Posts
Run a Google search for "car stereo Big 3 grounds". This is what the high wattage car audio people do for grounding and which will also help you.

I use heavy braided wire and soldered copper connections for mine. No ground problems here in a nearly 52 year old vehicle.

Rick

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

· Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
UPDATE: I could not find a bad ground and had some second thoughts about the ground since the lights on entire vehicle have this flicker. So I finally did a little troubleshooting.

• engine running: All lights have a visible flicker, a lot more noticeable on LEDs.
• engine not running: No flicker - lights solid
• engine running AND alternator pigtail disconnected: No flicker - lights solid

Now I'm thinking this alternator is garbage. As of Dec. 2019, brand new stock 105-Amp (#335-1086) ACDelco "Gold" (previously called "Professional") from Amazon. Amazon Seller: Amazon via The ACDelco Store. Alternator was changed 12/2019 because the original had noisy bearings. If I remember correctly, the flickering lights was also happening with the original alternator. I have no other problems, no MIL or codes, and battery is charging properly.

· SilveradoSierra Guru
3,178 Posts
Well that can happen even with the best of parts, some will be bad out of the box. It's before gm switched to having the ecm control alternator output, so you might be able to get a regulator for it?

But swapping another alternator on would be the easiest thing to do.

· Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It's before gm switched to having the ecm control alternator output, ...
This is good information. Thank you!

... so you might be able to get a regulator for it?
I still have my original and although I can unscrew the regulator and rectifier assembly, I would need to cut the electrical connections and silver solder. Not sure on regular soldering here, but maybe more trouble than it's worth.

But swapping another alternator on would be the easiest thing to do.
I can get a remanufactured lifetime warranty alternator with the larger output (130-Amp) for $159 + core from any of the big-three local chain auto parts stores. This is likely what I am going to do.

The ACDelco (brand new) from Amazon was only about $115 when I bought it (and $97 today), but the 24-month warranty is expired. It's a suspiciously low price since brand new ACDelco alternators are more than $300 from my local parts stores. I sent my photos and info to GM to determine if this is a counterfeit.

Wouldn't be the first time I got counterfeit ACDelco parts from Amazon. Couple years back I got a full refund for counterfeit ACDelco spark plugs. Luckily figured it out before installing them. Biggest clue was incorrect and inconsistent gap size.

· SilveradoSierra Guru
3,178 Posts
I would get the larger oem-sized one (145A), but it also requires a slightly different length belt.

And yeah, just getting the cheapest item on ebay and amazon is an invitation to getting a knockoff part...

· SilveradoSierra Guru
3,178 Posts
IDK, those were the common options for my '04 (base was 105, next level up was 145). Search the site for "145A", lots of hits for it.

· Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
IDK, those were the common options for my '04 (base was 105, next level up was 145). Search the site for "145A", lots of hits for it.
This is a 2000... the "next level" up from 105 is 130. On Rock Auto site, under the "re-manufactured" section, there are 17 alternators; they're either 105 ("standard") or 130 ("optional").

And yes, you are correct, an ACDelco 145 exists (335-1092) (as brand new only); it's showing a larger diameter, so it probably needs a longer belt as you already stated. (only 2-yr warranty)

After getting burned by the last ACDelco 24-month warranty... I think I will opt for a 130 with the lifetime warranty from a local chain store. Price is actually lower on the 130 than the 105 for whatever reason. At this point, quality being so crappy these days, I can swap for free in a few years if needed.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts