Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey I am a new (to me) full size truck owner. I recently bought a 2002 Silverado Z71 with a 5.3 in it for a winter vehicle. It has 160k on it. It has been running great until this morning. I started it up at work before leaving (night shift) with the Compustar remote starter and everything was normal. I ended up being inside longer than normal 20-30ish minutes. When I went outside to leave the truck was no longer running. I figured that it had been running on remote start for too long and that it had shut off. I go to start it and it cranks and sputters trying to start but it won't start. I jump it thinking the voltage might be too low, but that does nothing. That's when I notice that the fuel gauge is reading all the way on Empty. I cycled the ignition multiple times but it doesnt move. Now I put ~11 gallons of gas in it before I left for work, and that is only a 7 mile drive, so I know it isn't empty. I know that my tank wasn't siphoned by anyone. I work in a factory that is barb wire fenced in with security personnel out in the middle of nowhere Indiana.

I had it towed home today and I am curious as to what you guys would think is the next logical step is before I just start throwing money at it.

Thanks in advance.

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Update:

I noticed that when I was cranking it that the security light was flashing. So I unplugged the battery for a couple hours and then hooked it back up. The fuel gauge is now working correctly but it's still not starting. Tomorrow I am going to get a fuel pressure gauge and test it out.

· Registered
173 Posts
Check the TPS and it's wiring .
Also check your fuel pressure regulator by removing the plastic line. If gas trickles out the line the pressure regulator could be your issue.
Could also be a clogged fuel filter.
My bet is on your fuel pressure is less than 30 psi. You need 45 - 55 psi for the engine to run correctly but they have been known to run with some slight issues with less pressure. Some of then gradually lose pressure over time and some crap out suddenly parked idling or while driving down the road / highway. The fuel pump in my 99 LS1500 had my truck acting as though it was running out of gas when driving up hill 45-50 mph. If I gave it more pedal she ran fine so I thought it was new spark plug time or a misfiring coil until the pump totally crapped out on me last week. I did some reading on the pump issue and sure enough 1 of the symptoms of a failing pump is while driving up hill. Bought a Fuel Pressure Gauge to confirm things and sure enough I got ZERO pressure when cycling the key to the on position 2-3 times and Zero pressure when cranking the engine. I'll be ordering a new GM AC / Delco Pump & Fuel Filter later this week for the fix.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.