Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
21 - 40 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
734 Posts
Are you sure? I'm getting constantly between 10-12 volts there.
I think there is voltage at the relay at all times, and your horn switch connects the ground of the relay, switching the contact sending current across the contacts to your horn which is also grounded. I think they gave you a general explanation of how to check relays.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
I can't recall. I'm done for the night. Too dark.

But, I am now suspecting rodent damage. There was a peanut shell under the fuse box and a couple wires appeared chewed, so maybe a short in the fuse box due to this???

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
734 Posts
I can't recall. I'm done for the night. Too dark.

But, I am now suspecting rodent damage. There was a peanut shell under the fuse box and a couple wires appeared chewed, so maybe a short in the fuse box due to this???

Thanks for your help.
Could be a short from a rodent. Strange it used to only stay honking after being pressed.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
I did hear a clicking sound from the fuse box when moving it, and when connecting and disconnecting the fuse. Also when my wife turned the steering wheel back and forth...

Anyways, that's a tomorrow problem.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Ok... I was tired last night. I got that wrong.

85 to ground is showing around 11 volts, with engine off.

86 to ground, nothing.
I've had a few tonight so lets see how I pull this off. Voltage 85 to ground not honking is correct. Honking 85 to ground will read 0v. If the horn switch is closed 85 and ground is the same. Horn switch open isolates the circuit allowing you read a differential. That's if I'm not missing something about a horn circuit.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
What makes you 99% sure?
I put my fuse block into another truck, and all the same relays (low beams, Drl, fogs, park lamps, horn) clicked on. That other trucks fuse block did not do that in either truck.

So I bought a new fuse block, and none of my problems are gone.

I'm completely lost. I don't know what to do now.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
So, here's a question. Should a relay "click" if it isn't turning on the circuit? My relays for the affected parts are all clicking as soon as I connect the negative battery terminal. And it's the same with both trucks I tested. But only for my original fuse block...

21 - 40 of 57 Posts