Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys.

Just have a couple questions regarding my trucks transfer case. I have a 2004 Silverado automatic transmission. 4.8L engine. It has the manual 4x4 on the floor.

What transmission do I have? the 4l60E or the 4l80E? Also what is the transfer case number if it is the manual 4x4?

I have googled but cant find the answer!

·
Registered
7,399 Posts
Look in the glovebox. There should be a sticker with 3 digit codes on it. Enter the codes at this website to find out all the options your truck has including transmission and transfer case.

http://www.gm-trucks.com/rpo-code-lookup/

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you! I would totally use that search, but I am away for work right now and am searching on the internet for transfer case rebuild kits. Is there not a general combination for my truck? On wikipedia it doesnt say the 4l80e is used in my truck so i am assuming it is the 4l60e. So now how to know which transfer case i have...

·
Registered
7,399 Posts
There are several used so I can't say for sure with your RPO codes or VIN.

·
Registered
2021 GMC Sierra Denali CC 4WD Ultimate 6.2L
5,195 Posts
4L60-E is trans with 4.8L, 5.3L

4L80-E is used behind a 6.0L 2500 truck

Should be this one;
Transfer Case,NVG 261-NP2
NP2 Transfer case, floor-mounted shifter

NVG number codes
Speeds - 2
Strength - 6 (1-7, 7 high)
Type - 1 Part-time 4WD

1 = Part-time 4WD
2 = Full-time 4WD
3 = Electronic shift
4 = Not currently used
5 = Torsen-type differential
6 = Computer controlled multi-plate wet clutch
7 = GeroDisc
8 = Not currently used
9 = Viscous coupling

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Alright so 4l60e it is then.

I have got conflicting opinions on the transfer case though. On another forum someone is saying i have the 241. This forum is saying its a 261.

I just would have thought that there would be a specific number for the manual shift transfer case that goes in the 1500 trucks with the vortec v8!

·
Registered
2021 GMC Sierra Denali CC 4WD Ultimate 6.2L
5,195 Posts
Simple way to find out, look on the option label in the glove box for the NP2 code.

241 was replaced with 261

Note - Manual transfer case can have either a floor shift or electric shift (3 push buttons). Automatic TC case has AUTO as the top button fora total of 4 push buttons.

RPO Description
NP1 Transfer case, electronic shift (NVG 263)
NP2 Transfer case, floor-mounted shifter (NVG 261)
NP8 Transfer case, electronic Autotrac (NVG 246)

NVG - New Venture Gear

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.