Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I joined over here hoping some of you guys can give me some advice about this truck I bought this week with this issue. Truck has 458,000km.

When you start the truck, it gives a "low oil pressure" warning, and keeps beeping at me. The gauge hold about 6-10psi pressure on the gauge. When you rev the engine (I only revved it to 3000rpm) the gauge climbs to 20psi. You can also hear what sounds like a lifter slapping. This could be due to the low oil pressure I think?

1. Would you agree in saying that the pressure sensor unit is ok, since the gauge is working in the cluster? I unfortunately don't own a mechanical gauge to hook to it, but if I can get one where is an easy spot to connect it?

2. I have read that the oil pump relief valve sticks on these trucks and can cause an issue like this. I have also read about an "o-ring" problem on the pickup tube...Seeing as the pressure rises from 8-20psi, does that mean the pump is ok?

3. Lastly, the truck is 4x4 so to drop the oil pan is it required to remove the front differential? Any tips or comments are great.

Thanks!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
74 views so far and no one?

Today I dumped the oil and strained it, about 4-5 little non-metallic flakes came out about 1.5mm square in size. The rest of the crud im pretty sure fell in when the oil was running off the engine protector/belly protector. It was just dirt type crap.

The 4-5 flakes have me a little worried, but I installed a new filter and put in some 15w-40 rotella I had laying around and the pressure seems to have increased 4-5 psi. Usually if a bearing goes, im used to seeing bronze flakes, not shiny silver ones...any ideas?

At cold Idle now i have about 10psi, rev it to 2000rpm I get about 20psi, and I went to 3000rpm and get about 25psi. Went to 4000 with no change. This was with the oil cold.

The weird thing is, I let the truck fully warm up and the oil pressure didn't change at all. Oil thins when it gets warmer, so this doesn't make sense to me. Does this confirm the pump is dead? Or could it have thrown a bearing? Which bearing?

Im using this engine for a demolition derby truck so it doesnt need to run perfect, but I just would like to have an idea!! :D

Just trying to get an idea before I dump the pan and have a look inside. (I'm ordering a pump regardless.)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just to keep this going I guess.....

I put a new pump on the other day, and nothing changed. I had the pan off and inspected some main and rod bearings and they looked ok.

I'm pretty sure it has a spun cam bearing. Motor is coming out and will be rebuilt.

·
Registered
4 Posts
please help mine 2004 2500hd 6.0 sucked oil pan dry dumped it the top end intake exhaust etc, motor I guess is done for anyone have this happen it looked like it created a vacuum. and it has a catch can also pulling 1/2 mile hill at 4400 rpm then this happen after topped over the hill

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.