Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure if this is where i should post this or not, if it needs to be moved, let me know...im new to this site.
Heres the story, i had a friend call me and tell me that he "Blew" his engine, he said he was driving home and he heard some ticking so he got home and he parked it in the garage. He went out the next morning to start it and the engine wouldnt move, it was froze! He asked me if i wanted to buy it, long story short, i got the 2005 Silverado Ext cab (4 doors) for less than $600. I figured maybe i could part it out or something. I decided to check the engine before doing anything with it and i was manually able to turn the engine over so i metered the battery which was at 1.01 volts...i thought he killed the battery trying to start it...NOPE..he left the lights on and it killed the battery, i put a new one in it and it started up..heres where i need your help.
There was some clacking/ticking....but it all sounded like it was up top. I pulled the coil packs, valve covers, rockers and pushrods and inspected each one. ALL of the pushrods were in perfect shape where they made contact with the lifters, but the tops of several of them were worn where they met the rockers and the rocker was worn as well. Also the needle bearings (at least i believe they have needle bearings) in the rockers were worn. All of this would have increased the gaps and opened things up causing chatter/ticking that i heard. All of the worn pushrods seemed to have some sludge in them and didnt seem to be allowing oil to get up top. I went ahead and ordered a full set of rockers and push rods for the engine ($220). Im going to put it all in and see what i get with this "Fix"...what are my chances that this will solve the issue? The truck ran great, no check engine lights, no codes thrown, etc.. just the noise. My concern is ...if the lifters are bad, then i have to tear down the engine and replace those...and possibly a cam, timing chain, etc.. and thats beyond my expertise and my wallet when it comes to paying someone else to fix it ($3000+ im guessing) I figured if this didnt solve it, my total investment in this truck was only about $800..which i think i can re-coop easily if this doesnt solve the problem.
2005 LS model 5.3L 160K miles.

Appreciate your help and advice.

· Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
UPDATE: New rocker arms and push-rods installed and it runs perfect...super quiet, no ticking or lifter noise....no engine codes of any kind. Thank you :SILVERADO/SIERRA for your great posts...this helped me figure out how to get things done.

· Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The guy i got it from lived on a dirt road and i dont think he had changed the oil in the past 9k miles or so (based on the oil change sticker in the window). It seems great now. I thoroughly flushed the engine and cleaned everything prior to doing the work.

· Member Extraordinaire, How-To Author, TOTM
23,197 Posts
The intake... you obviously never changed the oil in an off-road vehicle it's almost always filled with small spects of dirt and crud.

Same with vehicles that spend a lot of time off-road and no oil changes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The guy who had this before me lived on a dirt road and this stuff was like flower, it was so fine that it got into everything...including the engine. It took me 3 days to clean all the fine dirt out of every nook and cranny in that truck. I never would have believed it until i talked to guys who run dirt trails/road all the time, they say that the fine stuff will get into their engines so they change their oil way more often then they would in a normal street truck.

· Registered
885 Posts
ChevyMike1966 said:
The guy i got it from lived on a dirt road and i dont think he had changed the oil in the past 9k miles or so (based on the oil change sticker in the window). It seems great now. I thoroughly flushed the engine and cleaned everything prior to doing the work.
9000 miles without an oil change. what a suprise.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.