Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I guess it's difficult to be unbiased based on what you own or what you've driven, but I'd like to know the main differences, gripes, etc. between the previous (2007-13) and the new generation of Silverados.

I've yet to test drive a 2014, but that's because I'm a huge fan of the 2007-13 generation. I like the body, not too square, not too rounded. The 07-13 interior is smooth looking and practical, not too technologically advanced, which I personally prefer. I think some of these cars/trucks nowadays have way too much tech in them. As far as looks, I'm not a fan of the 2014's boxy look, dashboard/console, and the step wedges in the rear bumper.

·
Registered
2018 Silverado LTZ
3,274 Posts
First off the difference is about $10,000.00 in price. For the record I own a 2011-5.3 LT Crew Cab Silverado. The 07-13s can be "clunky" in the drive train. Also, the 2 to 3 shift on the 6 speed transmission can sometimes "hang". Also, the V8 to V4 mode can sometimes not be the smoothest transition. The interiors are pretty industrial looking. Also, let it be known that I towed a trailer 8,000 miles (5,500 pound travel trailer) in an 8 an month span with ZERO issues with the truck. They ride nice too. Please also note none of these issues have affected reliability (in any massive numbers). Although some had to have some valve or cylinder work on the motors due to AFM.

I test drove a 2014 and quite frankly I was amazed. Take all of the issues I noted above-THEY ARE NOW ZIP-ZERO-GONE! The 2014 has a very smooth powertrain. The transmission shifts are hardly noticeable. The V8 to V4 transition IS NOT DETECTABLE AT ALL. It is Cadillac quiet and smooth on the freeway-it's unbelievable.

The question is if it's worth $10,000.00 to you?

·
Retired Admin
2,435 Posts
Can't really compare the 10k price difference. Compare stickers. They are very comparable in pricing (probably within about 2-3k at most). With what you get in the '14 its totally worth it. Until the NNBS stock dwindles down, rebates will start flowing on the '14's. Its how it works, so I would never say its a $10k price difference. Its like saying Kraft is better than Velveeta because I have a 20% off coupon on the Kraft.

T1 via AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
533 Posts
I have a 2012 silverado,
to prove I'm not just stubbornly clinging to what I own, let me say first, I like the looks of the 99-07(classic) trucks
much better than the 07-13s.
This applies only to ext cabs but, the biggest thing I like about the 07-13s is the rear suicide doors that swing open 170
degrees.
If you use your truck for work like me and are always putting in/ taking out crap from the back this is great.
For me (not saying for everybody) the new ext cab( double cab now) is simply much less usefull.
I looked at one on a dealer lot a couple sundays ago, they left it unlocked which means I was all over it :D ,
The first thing I did was open the rear doors and look at the size of the door jamb.
I could tell right away trying to use the back seat for what I use mine for now would be a real pain the arse.
Overall I like the styling of the 14s slightly better than mine, however I agree with the OP about not liking the high tech
looking dash.
And +1 on the z71s grill emblem.
Other than that the motors are more powerful, and the v8 trucks use beefier rear ends.
Same irritating clunky 6 speed as last years is now standard on all models.
Overall probably a little better truck than the older ones, but they ruined the ext cab, for me at least.
And before someone has to say it , yes I know the new double cab is more rigid and stronger than the old ext cab,
but they used the suicide doors for several decades and they worked fine.

Joe

·
Registered
2018 Silverado LTZ
3,274 Posts
Trumpster1 said:
Can't really compare the 10k price difference. Compare stickers. They are very comparable in pricing (probably within about 2-3k at most). With what you get in the '14 its totally worth it. Until the NNBS stock dwindles down, rebates will start flowing on the '14's. Its how it works, so I would never say its a $10k price difference. Its like saying Kraft is better than Velveeta because I have a 20% off coupon on the Kraft.

T1 via AutoGuide.com Free App
You have to talk transaction prices. WHAT WE PAY. I got 10grand off my sticker at the end of 2011. I know at some point as well you could get $12,000.00 off sticker. These things are not selling...and that's a fact. You can get currently about 1,500 off sticker from the factory. And then a dealer discount. It's along way from 10grand.

·
Registered
16,624 Posts
I agree with CKNSLS. Until you start seeing the big discounts, I think the 2014's are too high for the average buyer. Sure, some pull up, tell the dealer to bring around an LTZ with this that and the other option and don't even ask the price. But for myself, I bought my truck about a month before the 2014's started hitting the dealer lots. I knew the sticker prices were many thousands more than a similarly equipped 2013 and the 7-10,000 rebates made the choice easy for me. I was stretching it just to get the 2013 at the price I did get it for. I also like the idea of having a truck that has 6 years of testing where as the 2014 is a new body and motor and I am sure within a few years, there will be severe issues that develop similar the oil burning issue that was finally "fixed" in 2011.
But like I said, if you are one of those guys that like the latest and greatest and can afford it...I say get the 2014. It looks like a nice truck and it sounds like it has some real nice refinements that were long overdue on the NNBS trucks. I haven't driven one so I can't say how they drive compared to a 2013 but they look great.

·
Registered
7,399 Posts
StarsnBars said:
I love that Z71 badge embedded in the front grille on the 14's.
Yes! :cool:

·
Registered
2,675 Posts
I like the 07-13's but once a '14 hits a used lot I'll probably buy it like I did my '11. If it has low miles on it and you can get it cheaper than NEW prices with discounts I'm all for saving a buck.
Not to sure about comfort though as rcoman30 discussed in a post. I agree about the hard seats in the 14's

·
Registered
144 Posts
I compared them very closely at the beginning of September. Went to the lot to buy a 2014. Test drove a 2014 Z71 LTZ. It was definitely nice. The little things that the new screen, steering wheel controls and the new DIC in the cluster are really cool. It drove really nice and was definitely quiet. It didn't seem very comfortable to me though, as I have heard from others as well. It reminded me of a new F150 interior, kind of skinny seats with not just a whole lot of cushion. I LOVED my seats in my '00 tahoe then when i got an 04 i wasn't a fan of those, and my wife's 07 is worse than those IMO. Started talking price and GOOOD LORD! at the time GM wasn't offering a rebate yet, i've bought several vehicles from them before and i know the people that own the dealership. still wasn't able to get the price i was looking for..

I asked if there were any new 13's on the lot and there weren't. they were giving so many good deals on those that they were gone. But he told me his truck (the owner of the dealership) was selling his, but it wasn't on the lot yet we started talking. what sucked was that he bought the truck planning on keeping it for the long haul, but changed his mind and went with the 2500 not too long after getting it. What was good was everything he put in it because he thought he was keeping it. 2013 Z71 LTZ with every option GM has for it. Nav, rear entertainment, cooled seats...he even added 2" leveling kit on the front, tinted windows and put a roll n' lock on the bed. The thing had 8000 miles on it, so it was 500 miles over the "demo" where i could have gotten a rebate, but i still got a better deal. I could have gotten a 2014 with almost nothing on it for the price i got mine for. I'm sure its like that with every year that rolls around but they still seem really high to me. plus i'm sure they'll look good with a leveling kit on them or something, but seemed really low to me maybe its just the new body style.. i guess i haven't come around to the new body style, but i sure do love my '13!

(new member by the way, been over at z71tahoesuburban for years but just joined here and already have done some of ya'll mods...i'll have to post up in the new members with some pics).

·
Registered
593 Posts
CKNSLS said:
First off the difference is about $10,000.00 in price. For the record I own a 2011-5.3 LT Crew Cab Silverado. The 07-13s can be "clunky" in the drive train. Also, the 2 to 3 shift on the 6 speed transmission can sometimes "hang". Also, the V8 to V4 mode can sometimes not be the smoothest transition. The interiors are pretty industrial looking. Also, let it be known that I towed a trailer 8,000 miles (5,500 pound travel trailer) in an 8 an month span with ZERO issues with the truck. They ride nice too. Please also note none of these issues have affected reliability (in any massive numbers). Although some had to have some valve or cylinder work on the motors due to AFM.

I test drove a 2014 and quite frankly I was amazed. Take all of the issues I noted above-THEY ARE NOW ZIP-ZERO-GONE! The 2014 has a very smooth powertrain. The transmission shifts are hardly noticeable. The V8 to V4 transition IS NOT DETECTABLE AT ALL. It is Cadillac quiet and smooth on the freeway-it's unbelievable.

The question is if it's worth $10,000.00 to you?
I Have owned a 2009 5.3/4spd and a 2011 4.8/4spd, when I traded up to my current 2013 5.3/6spd i said the same thing about the drivetrain. I could hardly feel the shift points of the tranny, the afm v8/v4 mode was less transparent then that of my 09 5.3, but after a few thousand miles ( my truck currently has close to 7k miles) i feel it all! Granted the i love my current truck and it is a much better truck than my comparable 09 was, i suspect that after a few thousand breakin miles (maybe 10/15k miles) the drivetrain "clunks" will be there on the 2014 + GM trucks...

Me personally i like the double cab and its appearance, its right up my ally, I think gm hit a home run with the new sierra, I like the styling of the news trucks alot more than that of the 07/13s, very nice! But I won't be getting one anytime soon, I got bigger fish to fry, like a home loan.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
esox07 said:
I also like the idea of having a truck that has 6 years of testing where as the 2014 is a new body and motor and I am sure within a few years, there will be severe issues that develop similar the oil burning issue that was finally "fixed" in 2011.
You brought up a subject I've always wondered about...

Is it safe to assume that any issue that may have presented itself in the 2007 models may be resolved by 2013? Similar to an iPhone, or any run-of-the-mill electronic device? Does Chevy simply pump out trucks and slap a current year tag on 'em, or will they continously resolve issues within that generation of trucks?

·
Premium Member
3,170 Posts
Nbs (sierra) for life! I dont really like the 03+ silvy body change nbs trucks.

I think the '13 would give you the best bang for your buck... I just don't like the nnbs body style... the '14 sierra is growing on me.... thinking about going offshore just so I can afford to buy a new dmax or denali...

sent from my Verizon Wireless Galaxy SIII

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.