Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need help switching antenna on 08 silverado . Base has a place for wrench but its so tight im afraid. Its gonna break ? I mean is this normal..

·
Premium Member
2015 Silverado LT Texas Edition
4,811 Posts
Protect your paint, try a little penetrating oil and maybe a little heat. (Heat gun/blow dryer.) Threads are probably corroded.

·
Administrator
6,503 Posts
I removed mine when my truck was about six months old to do a hidden antenna mod. Had to use vise grips. Trashed the antenna. Bought a new one.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
don't use an open end or adjustable wrench. use a box end and slide it over the top. also, don't use a multi point, use one with six faces. if that doesn't work, then go with the above more aggressive options

·
Registered
2016 Silverado
6 Posts
Need help switching antenna on 08 silverado . Base has a place for wrench but its so tight im afraid. Its gonna break ? I mean is this normal..
I have to assume that you got it off. However, just to let you know that my 2016 was the same way. I think GM uses thread locker on the antenna threads. After trying penetrating fluid with no success, I discovered that the antenna itself is a threaded female and the base on the truck is a threaded male. The penetrating fluid could not even wick up into the antenna so that was a bust.

So, heat was the answer, along with a six point box end wrench. I warmed up the antenna base with a heat gun to over 100 degrees and then just wrenched it off.

·
Administrator
6,503 Posts
About 6-7 years ago, I hid my antenna horizontally in the cowl area. I bought a replacement panel for where the antenna hole is and cut-out a piece and epoxied it in place to plug the hole. AM reception is reduced a bit, FM wasn't affected much. But I either listen to XM, music on an SD card, or don't have the radio on at all so that doesn't matter to me.

Hood Automotive design Automotive exterior Grey Personal luxury car

1 - 7 of 7 Posts