Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last weekend while I was driving all of my gauges started bouncing left and right, then it stopped and they settled down like the truck wasn’t running. I stopped at a gas station and made sure the battery terminals were tight and when I started the truck back up everything was working fine.

Today I went out to the truck and when I tried to start it I got nothing except the tach and speedo needle moved up maybe a quarter inch and stayed there. I rechecked the battery terminals, looked at the grounds under the hood and under the truck and they look ok, and I checked every fuse and didn’t find any blown. When I tried to start the truck again it started up and then died after a few seconds. Now every third or fourth time I turn the key it’ll start up and run for a few seconds and then stall. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I took the cover off the steering column and made sure all the plugs in there were fully seated and it seems to be working again, but I guess we’ll see if it starts again.

·
Administrator
7,784 Posts
Hopefully that takes care of it. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Last weekend while I was driving all of my gauges started bouncing left and right... Today I went out to the truck and when I tried to start it I got nothing except the tach and speedo needle moved up maybe a quarter inch and stayed there.
How old is your battery?

Who do you know with a Tech-2 or other bi-directional scan tool? Need to pull the BCM codes and check condition of the battery as the truck sees it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok it worked fine all day yesterday, today it started fine and then the gauge cluster died again. I parked it and when I tried to start it in the parking lot it was doing the same thing it did yesterday, nothing for a while then it would start and die after a few seconds.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Check those connectors for corrosion, but it may be the ignition switch.... Gave up looking because I thought you fixed it. Lol

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
How would I be able to tell if it’s the ignition switch?
Looking for a schematic to have you check the run side of the switch, or something that is energized while in run position under the hood. Like a relay or something..(non acc position) so the diagnostics will be easy. Kinda busy with my 5 year old right now though lol.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

1 - 10 of 10 Posts