Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Silverado with a 5.3
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I have a 2008 Silverado with a 5.3L vortec. I just had a shop order a crate Jasper motor to replace the current motor. We discussed what I was looking and wanted regarding the new motor. I said I wanted an everyday driver but I did want a little more power, a little different cam sound, and wanted to have a noticeable difference with the overall sound (and wanted people to know I've had something done to my truck). They swapped my motor with another 5.3L Vortec, AFM deleted, and a class 1/stage 1 cam upgrade (?). They also installed a cold air intake and gave me a Diablo i3 tuner. I might have been expecting more and/or misunderstood something but my truck seems to basically be the exact same before I took it in. I only notice the cold air intake sound.. I don't notice much, if any, power gains, doesn't accelerate much differently, and sounds the same. I did change the exhaust tips but not the mufflers. I don't notice any idle difference at all.. Do I need to give it more time to settle in and change the muffler to notice the difference? I trust the shop 100% and they're great people. Should I say something to them about it as well? Thanks in advance

·
Administrator
6,131 Posts
Sounds like you got exactly what you were asking for. Time won't really do anything for you. You could change the exhaust to change the tone/volume but it won't gain you any power.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Ok thanks fellas. I was thinking there would be a difference in the rumble at least. Or am I wrong about that? What's the average price for this kind of install as well?
A mild cam adds a little sound, but your not going to get a lope like a race car. The exhaust will change the tone of the engine, and a cold air intakes regularly do not give what you're expecting.

·
Registered
471 Posts
You are not going to get the chop till you move into much more aggressive cams. You need the valves to open more and more duration to achieve the classic chop. Remember also the more aggressive cam you do the more you run the risk of needing to change your torque converter as well. The bigger you go the more you power band changes gaining mid torque and higher end horse power gives up low end torque making it a terd when you try and take off from a stop which is where the stall comes in. If you want power force induction is the way to go.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ooo Ok I see. Well, damn.. I was hoping for a little more aggressive sounds. Perhaps I'll go with another type of exhaust to make up for what I wanted in cam.. Any suggestions on a type of muffler to make a muscle car type sound? Thank y'all for the explanation and advice guys! I'm learning more and more of the fine tuning details every day.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I have a '93 350 bored 60 with an xe268 cam, 18" cherry bomb glasspacks turned down after the header. There is no such thing as talking while driving. I bought a bolt on kit to get to the rear by piecing two kits together and dual cherry bomb salutes. Will be installing it in the spring.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Ooo Ok I see. Well, damn.. I was hoping for a little more aggressive sounds. Perhaps I'll go with another type of exhaust to make up for what I wanted in cam.. Any suggestions on a type of muffler to make a muscle car type sound? Thank y'all for the explanation and advice guys! I'm learning more and more of the fine tuning details every day.
Long tube headers more power and great improvement to sound. The headed will help a bit in getting more power from your cam and you can actually keep the cats and then straight pipe out the back or some better than flowmasters… they just drone to much.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok thanks for all the suggestions! I've got a bottle muffler (dynomax I believe) but I'm wanting a deeper tone. I've looked at Flowmaster and Craven. But was leaning toward headers and straight pipes. But still pretty undecided. Would long tube headers be better than shorty headers?

·
Registered
296 Posts
Ok thanks for all the suggestions! I've got a bottle muffler (dynomax I believe) but I'm wanting a deeper tone. I've looked at Flowmaster and Craven. But was leaning toward headers and straight pipes. But still pretty undecided. Would long tube headers be better than shorty headers?
long tube are generally better for several reasons. You may think you want open headers, but it'll get old.

·
Registered
471 Posts
You would probably at least want to keep the resonator if you are doing cats then straight pipe. Header definitely add a recognizable distinguishable sound to the exhaust even with stock exhaust. Flowmaster sound all well and great but highway driving they drone. I opted for electronic cut outs when I want loud I open them when I want peace they close. Long > shorty because stock manifolds are about the same as short. The more mods you do also the more the long tubes show their worth especially when moving to force induction, bigger cams, bigger throttle body, etc. Also do not cheap out and buy the cheapest headers you can find. Buy once cry once cheap ones tend to not seal great or the primaries are not appropriate length so you have exhaust stroke events running into each other creating turbulence in the exhaust.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ok thank you guys for all the advice and tips! I completely agree on the "don't go cheap" aspect! Get what you pay for. I learn my lesson numerous times. Also, all the engine modifications I listed on the original post, how much should that typically run? Wanting to know if I got screwed over

·
Premium Member
2009 5.3l 6l80
4,058 Posts
roughly $1000 in parts

CAI 250-400
tuner $500
plus any fluids and gaskets needed

IF you had a decent engine to begin with and had a shop install a cam and afm delete kit that alone is 3-4k depending on area. Plus the CAI, tuner and MISC

What did everything cost, if you don't mind sharing?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hey Bradley, I'm sorry it took so long to answer bro. I paid right 10k for everything. A Jasper reman w/ AFM/DOD delete, CAI, Diablo Tuner, I believe he did upgraded heads, and upgraded to some better valve covers even from Jasper. And the Stage 1 cam

·
Administrator
6,131 Posts
Nice, clean truck! Are those 24's? How's it ride with such short sidewall tires?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts