Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Upon a slow gradual stop…no thud. But a slightly quicker stop I’ll get a thud and sounds like is coming from rear…like a jet fwd. but truck does no move fwd. also, when at a complete stop after traveling at about 35+ mph. I’ll get a thud or jerk fwd sound at about 5-10 seconds after the stop. Dealership has put new engine mounts and they have re-checked everything. They say it’s normal “lash”play in older trucks from rear. I’m not sold on that response. Could it be transmission- brakes-other? I also need to find another mechanic to assess accordingly. Thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thx

·
Administrator
9,126 Posts
Does this happen when you let off the brake pedal? Maybe pull the brake drums and see if you have a leaking wheel cylinder.

Does this happen when you're stopped on an incline? That could be the anti-roll-back feature of the brakes releasing.

Reactions: hspLOBO

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Does this happen when you let off the brake pedal? Maybe pull the brake drums and see if you have a leaking wheel cylinder.

Does this happen when you're stopped on an incline? That could be the anti-roll-back feature of the brakes releasing.
Thanks for feedback! Does not generally happen when letting off brake pedal. Like the idea of checking drums👍. Thx

·
Registered
2010 GMC Sierra WT RCSB
496 Posts
There is a TSB out there somewhere to grease the slip yoke splines from the output of the transmission. Then I think they came out with a nickel plated slip yoke to correct the issue instead because some 4wd models were having issues with heavy grease in the transfer case. Couldn't find the TSB at the moment but could be your issue

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
There is a TSB out there somewhere to grease the slip yoke splines from the output of the transmission. Then I think they came out with a nickel plated slip yoke to correct the issue instead because some 4wd models were having issues with heavy grease in the transfer case. Couldn't find the TSB at the moment but could be your issue
Exactly. I took a printed version of that bulletin to the dealership and they provided me with an updated version stating that this is normal. Due to what they call “lash” due to aging of vehicle. Addressing the slip yoke was no longer recommended accordingly. None of it made any sense to me. Meanwhile. I love my truck but need to address the noise before I have a safety issue. The dealership has looked at the issue twice now. Maybe time to go elsewhere.

·
Registered
2010 GMC Sierra WT RCSB
496 Posts
Exactly. I took a printed version of that bulletin to the dealership and they provided me with an updated version stating that this is normal. Due to what they call “lash” due to aging of vehicle. Addressing the slip yoke was no longer recommended accordingly. None of it made any sense to me. Meanwhile. I love my truck but need to address the noise before I have a safety issue. The dealership has looked at the issue twice now. Maybe time to go elsewhere.
Yeah I would try a different shop too. That is if you don't feel comfortable doing it yourself. I'm pretty sure the TSB said it was fine to grease the splines on a RWD truck

1 - 13 of 13 Posts