Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last year I blew the rear in my truck and went with a 3.73 gear setup. I never changed over the front gears to match so I'm not able to use my 4x4. What do I need exactly to change out the front gears? Is it just a 3.73 ring and pinion?

·
Registered
2004 Sierra 3500 6.0L, auto, extended cab, cab&chassis, upgraded to 4wd
484 Posts
Unless there's something really special about your truck, it's way cheaper (vs paying someone to swap the gears) and WAY WAY easier (vs doing it yourself) to just swap the whole diff with one that has the right ratio... Find some parting out their truck, or even from a junkyard and do the swap.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have a moderately built engine in her, the rear I put in is a Mosier posi 3.73 track setup. I rather new parts rather than used stuff. I spent around $2200 on parts for the rear end, I have no problem doing the work myself.

·
Premium Member
3,941 Posts
Ring, pinion and install kit. Just like you needed for the rear.

·
Registered
853 Posts
I like your logic OP! Hard to go wrong with new stuff, long as you can set it up properly, and sounds like you can.

·
Registered
2004 Sierra 3500 6.0L, auto, extended cab, cab&chassis, upgraded to 4wd
484 Posts
If you've got the tools to do it, go for it... From reading through the process for the front diff in my '04 Sierra, it takes a bunch of more specialized tools to do compared with doing it for the rear diff (and some luck, as the driver's side stub axle doesn't always come out of the diff, and you have to cut it off).

Maybe subscribe to the full-service manual for your truck, and check out the rebuild procedure that GM has for it.

And if you do the job, I would suggest going all-in, and replace all the bearings/bushings/seals.

·
Premium Member
3,941 Posts
I dont know what year model you have but if its a 07-13 then check out the link in my signature and scroll down to step 20 and take a look at the front document. It walks you through a lot of it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts