Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys and gals,
like the title says I seem to have a computer issue per the dealer. 2011 Silverado LT 2WD Crew Cab with 77K miles. I purchased the truck used on 11/9 from a GM dealer and drove home about 200 miles with no issue. 11/10 I drove to work about 20 miles, it sat for 12 hours, and then I started my drive home. About 14 miles into my drive the dash lights, gauges, radio, door locks, throttle, and transmission went haywire.

1. The door locks unlocked and locked repeatedly for about 15 to 20 seconds.
2. The gauge lights and radio lights dimmed.
3. The radio volume reduced to a level that couldn't be heard.
4. The throttle did not work.
5. The transmission down-shifted to a lower gear, the RPMs shot to about 5K, and then it went back to Drive.

All of this occurred at a highway speed of about 65 to 70 mph. I turned on the flashers and started making my way to the emergency lane when all the power came back but the throttle still felt sluggish.

Within a 1/4 of a mile it did the same thing all over again. I made it to the exit, activated OnStar to have them run a diagnostic check, and they reported no issues found. I drove the remaining 6 miles to my home without issue however the throttle still felt less responsive than it had previously. The check engine light never illuminated.

I had it towed to the nearest GM dealer and they are still running diagnostics. The service tech did say it had some codes but didn't know specifically what they were. The only report as of close of business 11/11 is it is a computer issue.

The dealer I purchased the truck from has been completely on-board from the moment I contacted them. They have contacted the dealership where the truck was towed to and advised them to submit all repair costs to them. Additionally they are covering a rental for me during this time.

I apologize for the long introductory post but long lead to an obvious question, anyone else ever seen or heard of this?

Thanks

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

· Registered
1,863 Posts
Starting in 2008 they had problems with the battery cables, I don't know if it is still an issue with the 2011. A voltage drop test on the battery cables when it's acting up will show any problems. Voltage drop on a running engine should not be more than around 100Mv (0.1V)

Here's a good video to explain the test....

· Registered
2,304 Posts
The good news is you bought it from a respectful dealer instead of some corner lot. It makes me feel good to read about a dealer standing behind his sale especially on a used vehicle.
I hope your not down for long. I know it sucks to have your new rig acting up. It sounds like your in good hands.

· Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys. The local dealer gave me a 2017 Sierra to drive while mine is down. They still don't have an answer yet but at least the purchasing dealer is doing the right thing and covering the rental as well as the repairs.

· Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I received my truck back from the dealer on Tuesday evening 11/15 and they reported they were unable to find an issue although it did fail in the exact same manner while they were test driving the vehicle. The dealer reported they tightened the negative cable feeling this may be the issue but they are unsure as there was no codes set to retrieve. Today marks 1 week I have had the truck and hope the issue is in fact resolved.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.