Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Newbie here, and needing some info. I bought a 2012 Silverado 2500 HD several months ago. It came equipped with the 20 inch wheel option. They weren't my first choice, and the dealer didn't seem to keen about swapping them out with a smaller wheel. The tires on it are 265/60/20 Wrangler street tires. I really would like something with a more aggressive tread, especially with winter coming on. I know Chevy doesn't recommend off road driving with 20 inch wheels, but I don't really do much more than maybe driving across a corn field or logging roads. The truck is stock height, not leveled, and the local tire shops seem to think I can get a set of 275's under it without any problem. What's the consensus?
I am not above buying new wheels, but the tire dealers didn't seem too keen on the idea of selling me a new set of wheels. I was thinking 17 inch since there are a lot of tire options out there for that size. If I go that route, what are the specs I need to look for on the wheels? Any input will be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2009 Silverado LT 4WD
9,464 Posts
You could do maybe a 275/60/20 or if you decide new wheels (keeping offset in check). I would do 18" wheels actually they have even more sizes available..and go with a 285/65/18...either way you may need to crank on your torsion bars a bit for clearance.

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
^Agreed. Level yourself out and you should be able to clear the 275s. 20s aren't really the best option on a 3/4 ton unfortunately, but you'll be fine 'offroading' as you describe it without a different set of rims. I've done comparable in 1500s with much less sidewall.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What does GM consider "off road"? And why dont they recommend 20" wheels for that? The truck was packaged as a towing vehicle (which I need when I tow our travel trailer), but I dont really see how 20's would fit into the picture. I can't seem to find anybody who wants to recommend a different tire and wheel combination. Called a local performance and offroad shop, and they seemed to think keeping stock was the best way to go too. Is there a reason these places are shy about suggesting smaller wheels?

How do I determine the offset for the wheel on that truck?

·
Registered
295 Posts
I'm running 18s on my HD with a 295/70/18 with a 2.25 leveling kit. For an aggressive tire I like the Nitto Trail Grapplers! These things are gorgeous looking and perform excellent.

Attachments

·
Registered
2009 Silverado LT 4WD
9,464 Posts
Jeffcobeeman said:
What does GM consider "off road"? And why dont they recommend 20" wheels for that? The truck was packaged as a towing vehicle (which I need when I tow our travel trailer), but I dont really see how 20's would fit into the picture. I can't seem to find anybody who wants to recommend a different tire and wheel combination. Called a local performance and offroad shop, and they seemed to think keeping stock was the best way to go too. Is there a reason these places are shy about suggesting smaller wheels?

How do I determine the offset for the wheel on that truck?
My honest opinion, they want to sell you tires for 20" wheels because they cost more $$$ & they probably make more $$$ on them.
Your second question, your stock offset on your wheels should between +31 & +35 offset.
I recommend a 18" wheel if your going off-roading in a offset in between +18 & +25 offset IMO...
And the sidewall is not as tall on 20" tires and that's why they don't recommend them for offroad...more likely to puncture sidewall and damage wheel also..

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the info! I appreciate it a lot. This has been a bit of a headache. Never ran into this problem with any of my other trucks so I just wasnt sure. I think I caught a break today though. Stopped in at a local garage, and one of the mechanics turned me onto a set of 18 inch take offs from another new truck at a dealer. He is going to check on them tomorrow. They are 8 lug, so they should fit with no problem. If I go that route I guess I'll sell the originals. The originals are bright chrome.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok, still thinking this through. I found a tire dealer that says an LT285/55r20 in either a Dick Cepek Fun Country or a Toyo should fit under that truck without rubbing. The tire is 1/10 of an inch larger in diameter and is 11.7 inches wide. He is willing to mount one and check the fit. If it rubs just a little. is it possible to raise the front a bit with the stock keys? My concern is the added width, which he says is just an inch.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Went with the 285/55/20 Cepek Fun Country. There wasnt much room to spare, and might rub the front fenderwell liner in tight turns if conditions are right. The tire dealer suggested giving the key bolts 3-4 turns if they rub (and an alignment afterwards), but so far they havent rubbed yet. A bit more tire noise but they look good and drive nice. We'll see how they do this weekend on my hunting trip. Thanks for all the input.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.