Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
I have beed fixing some of the plastic parts that break over time and this past weekend it was timeto replace the exterior door handles.
I ordered Doorman replacement handles for both front doors.
The drivers doorhandle went in with no issues.
The passenger door handlewent failry well and opened and closed nicely until...
So here is where I have run into trouble. I functioned the doors probably 5-10 each with no issue.
I cleaned up the truck, started it up, backed it out of the garage and moved it to it's regular parking spot in our yard.
As a sannity check, I got out of the truck and tried the drivers door again. No issues.
I walked around to the passenger side and tried to open the door. The door will not open.
Initially I though I had forgotten to unlock it, so I hit the key fob, and tried the door again. Nothing.
I went back to the drivers door and hit the unlock switch, then tried the passenger door again. Nothing.
I climbed into the truck from the driver side, and tried the interior passenger door handle. The door did not open.
I pulled the the lock up and down to see if that was causing the problem without success.

So in between the initial door functioning that went very well, unitl this point was, is that I started the truck and electrical power was introduced into the system.

Besides completely destroying the interior door panels to get into the door, any thoughts on what part of the elctrical system that may be causing the door to remain locked?

Thank you,
Kelly

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Does the lock lever feel like it's moving the lever on the latch all the way? And the electric lock actuator fires when you hit the unlock button?
The lock moves up and down, you can hear the lock moving with the key fob and the release switch on the arm rest. I tried pulling up on the lock and pull the interior door handle, but that didnt do anything.

I found this in one of the forums, copied it and accidently closed the window, so I dont recall if it was from this forum.

"I had this problem after replacing a broken outside door handle. Worked fine until I set the lock. Then the door would not open from either side. Took it to the dealer here and told them the problem. They got the right rear door panel off without tearing anything up too much, then told me that my door latch mechanism was broken and I needed a new one. $400! I told them no!
I looked at it and took off the screws for the outside door handle. With the door handle off, it opened and closed just fine. Latch sure wasn't bad order!
I thought it was out of adjustment on the outside handle actuator rod so I turned the rod up a turn and put it all back together. It would not open again. Took the outside handle off and everything worked great. I tried that three times before I got frustrated and put all the tools away.
Then I thought "One more look..."
When I lifted the outside handle actuator rod at the door latch from inside and pulled the inside cable. The door came right open! Surprise!
The problem was the outside actuator rod was too tight on the door latch actuator and making the actuator think the door was already unlocked. Just like the kinked inside cable will do.
I screwed the actuator rod back down 5 turns (3 for the adjustments today, 2 for it didn't work to start today and to get it shorter than it was when I put the new handle on) and everything is great now."

Thoughts?
Kelly

· SilveradoSierra Guru
2004 Sierra 3500 6.0L, auto, extended cab, cab&chassis, upgraded to 4wd
3,172 Posts
Sure, that could be your problem, you won't know until you get the door apart.

You might possibly be able to get the seat unbolted and moved a bit, then get the interior door panel off w/o needing to destroy it.

· Registered
4,252 Posts
Roll both windows down. Pull off the exterior window rubber on both sides (theDS so you can see what is supposed to be happening). Then figure out which little rod is off its pivot point. Then it is just a matter of manipulating the latch with a rod of some sort to open the door. There are little clips that hold the rods in place, one of those has likely broken.

· TOTM
2013 Sierra SLE CC 2500HD Duramax
1,042 Posts
Roll both windows down. Pull off the exterior window rubber on both sides (theDS so you can see what is supposed to be happening). Then figure out which little rod is off its pivot point. Then it is just a matter of manipulating the latch with a rod of some sort to open the door. There are little clips that hold the rods in place, one of those has likely broken.
^^^^ this and if one didn’t break, some you have to twist the clip to lock it onto the rod after rod is snapped into place.

2013 Sierra SLE 2500HD CC 4wd Z71 6.6 Duramax

1 - 6 of 6 Posts