• Leave them alone a little longer

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2013 4.8L 4L60E
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The transmission guy says to leave the 4L60E alone. If the fluid looks right and the truck shifts properly, don't touch it. For the L20, I've gone over to better oil and filter, and increased my drain / fill interval.

Now the plugs: I've had the OEM 41-110 set coming up on a year now. A buddy says, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it".

Truck runs like new. Highway mileage is easily low-mid 20s. Other than a condenser temperature switch failure $$$$, one power driver seat motor shorted, and the radio's clock display wonky, no complaints for a 10-year new truck.

Normal service, yes. Filters, blades, tires, battery (Deka). Grease the spare winch. One of the pulleys was always loud, even the day of delivery; last winter it went full-shriek and got swapped out. I had to wait two months for OEM parts but it was a 15 minute install with only a 15mm ratchet. Very satisfying wrenching experience.

·
Premium Member
2009 5.3l 6l80
4,978 Posts
OEM ACDelco plus and wires should be done every 100k or so just like struts.

If you haven't drained and replaced coolant by now you should look into that too.

I disagree with the trans fluid as well, I would 100% do a pan drop, filter change and top back off with fluid. Especially if it looks excellent. That means you haven't waited too long. An increasing amount of others on here are changing at the severe service limit instead of every 100k as well.

·
Registered
2013 4.8L 4L60E
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I would 100% do a pan drop, filter change and top back off with fluid.
I notice the OEM 24208576 kit is backordered from many vendors. I'm usually as OEM as they get.

Is Dextron VI ATF the go-to or is there an upgrade?

Looks like $93 delivered from Rocketman is a typical purchase for the 5 qt 4-speed

Liquid Automotive tire Font Technology Electric blue

·
Registered
2015 GMC Sierra 1500 4x4 leveled and 2015 GMC Sierra 1500 2wd lowered.
434 Posts
At 102k miles, pick a good weekend of your choice, and self change the plugs, plug wires, and all the O2 sensors. Put the front end up on jack stands, remove the front wheels, and go in through the fender wells if it makes getting to anything easier. Soak the sensors with a little Kano Aerokroil before trying to break them loose. Make sure to reinstall everything following the manufacturer's recommendations. That way everything is new and can break-in together and you have the opportunity to really get in there and inspect parts of your truck you normally don't see.

·
Registered
2013 4.8L 4L60E
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
plug wires
In other words, "Man up". ;)

Checking part numbers on acdelco & gmpartsstore . . . :unsure:

Looks like ACDelco 748UU is the GM OEM 19351570 (which replaces 19206447). Order the heat shields as well?

To clarify: Any idea if 748UU is the OEM and 9748UU the "Gold" tier quality? Or does one rightly walk into NAPA and take what is offered?

Still looking for the O2 sensors; the schematic shows only two sensors; temporary bafflement.

·
Registered
2013 4.8L 4L60E
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Still looking for the O2 sensors; the schematic shows only two sensors; temporary bafflement.
Ahh, checked out a video. Are the front and rear O2 sensors different enough that I won't / can't mess it up?

AFAT wires go, 748UU is OEM and 9748UU the 'Professional' series. Interestingly enough, the dealership pushes the Professional line on lots of parts, especially brakes.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Are the front and rear O2 sensors different enough that I won't / can't mess it up?
They should have a different style harness connector on each so you can't mess them up. At least all the ones I have changed did. The upstream (front of converter) will be a little different than the downstream (rear of converter) on purpose. As for sticking with AC Delco parts, I have used Denso for the sensors and Standard Motor Products for plug wires with no regrets. You should be able to transfer the original heat shields if truck came with them. I use Rockauto.com for most of my DIY maintenance parts. Just plug in the year, make, model, motor, and drive type of your vehicle and it searches entire site for you. Plus there is always a 5% discount code available, just needs to be the latest active one.

·
Registered
2013 4.8L 4L60E
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Denso [oxygen] sensors
Found them. Great website. Love the layout and prices.

I've done more difficult wrenching in my time. This project is starting to look within my abilities.
Do you favor the standard socket or the stubby offset socket?

·
Registered
2013 4.8L 4L60E
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I went with the 748UU
I've ordered the OEM wires. Getting excited. The challenge of Plug 8. Anything special I want? I've done a Subaru twice without removing the battery; that is a really tight job.

When my truck wanted brakes all around, I didn't mess around. First, knowing nothing about brakes - and the attendant not knowing what a problem or issue looks like - I had my trusted shop do it. After securing all OEM ACDelco parts. Rotors pads drums shoes springs. Much to their distain; they like getting parts "down the street". Hey, if it works perfectly for 80,000 miles, why switch?

·
Registered
434 Posts
Do you favor the standard socket or the stubby offset socket?
Why not have both available? Sometimes the sensors are locked in pretty tight. You don't want to round off any edges. That is why you should presoak them with a good penetrating oil. If have the room, a regular open end wrench works too.

·
Registered
1999 Silverado LT LQ4 2006 Sierra SLT LBZ
3,608 Posts
I use the one on the right.

Personally I am a big "right tool for the job" guy. Hell I have an $18 socket just to pull the seats out of the truck, damn external torx

·
Registered
2013 4.8L 4L60E
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
right tool for the job
Same here. Heck, this honing guide was $125 and gets used an hour a year.

I'm looking at jack stands and will over-buy weight rating. If only I kept my old Ajax floor jack ...

One job at a time. plugs and wires. Have ratchet, sockets, swivel, 1", 3", 6" extensions. Breaker bar for even pressure if required. Anything else? How do you judge 12 foot pounds?

Tool Nickel Font Metal Machine

·
Premium Member
2009 5.3l 6l80
4,978 Posts
I run them down by hand with the extension only and that's close enough for me. Everyone over exaggerates the plugs and wires, all were easy to get to and change.. I just pulled out the wheel wells and got after it, but you can do it all from the top no issues too.

·
Registered
2013 Sierra SLE CC 2500HD Duramax
906 Posts
I’ve done my plugs from the top no issue too! Then again, I have small hands which might mean the difference. It was definitely a benefit working in the bodyshop.

2013 Sierra SLE 2500HD CC 4wd Z71 6.6 Duramax

·
Registered
2013 4.8L 4L60E
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Everyone over exaggerates the plugs and wires
Maybe it's like a fear of the dentist. You can't see what's between those back molars ...

Took a hard look just now. Did the reach from both the side and the front. And have determined the back left plug would be easier to address in Zero-G. Float into position. But my anti-gravity suit is not yet perfected. A padded tarp and a six-foot ladder will help me balance. Small pain, over in four minutes.

Some conflicting info. I'm thinking a small dab of anti-seize on the threads. Make them tight but not too tight. Dielectric grease on the plug.

Do I want to hit both ends of the cable with the grease?

·
Registered
434 Posts
When I did plugs, plug wires, and O2 sensors, each sensor came with a small packet of copper infused anti-seize. A little bit goes a long ways. I used it on the plug threads also. A little boot grease on the plug end for sure. I cut the cotton swab part off of a q-tip and used the stick for smearing a thin coat of grease around inside of the boot. I did not use it on the coil end.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts