Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

· Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2013 Silverado with 60k miles started idling very roughly a few weeks ago. Shortly after the rough idle started happening the check engine light came on. The code was P0301 - misfire on cylinder 1. I replaced the spark plugs. Cylinder 1 spark plug was fouled and missing a piece of the electrode. Actually all of the plugs were fouled on the drivers side. Anyway, the new plugs fixed the idle / misfire issue. Now there is a very distinct ticking noise which I assume is a valve or lifter possibly damaged from digesting the spark plug electrode. The truck goes into the shop (dealer) Thursday so hopefully they can diagnose and get any work covered under warranty. Since this issue surfaced I've installed the Range AFM Delete module.

Anyone else having issues on post 2011 Silverado's? I thought these issues were resolved with the newer Silverado's. Hopefully the dealership does the right thing. I'm guessing they won't.

Sean

Attachments

· Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I re-enabled the AFM (removed the Range module) before driving to the dealer. They seemed shocked that I had diagnosed and repaired the mis-fire. When I starting saying things like AFM they were like "yeah, we've had a lot of problems with that". We shall see what they find.

· Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just got a call from the dealer. The ticking noise was resolved (according to them) by removing, cleaning and re-installing the spark plugs. I call BS on that but I'll play along and asses when i pick up the truck. The said the spark plugs had backed out. They also noted that my oil level was "very low" (I just did a oil change 1000 miles ago). They are going to perform a oil change and have me bring the truck back in 1000 miles to check it and see if it's consuming oil. The tech mentioned that if it's consuming oil it was likely a piston / ring issue but they would have to asses it after 1000 miles.

· Member Extraordinaire, Servicemen, How-To Author
16,428 Posts
Well, it sounds like the saga continues. I am worried the #1 cylinder with the cracked electrode was damaged and is now allowing oil to enter the combustion chamber.
Keep us posted on where this goes. Good luck.

· Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'll keep the forum up to date on the findings. I have heard that loose spark plugs can sound like lifters ticking - maybe i didn't tighten one up properly. I noticed my last oil change the truck had used 2 quarts in 5000 miles - running Mobile 1 and Mobile 1 filter. Between that and mis-fire / fouled plugs is what prompted me to get the Range module to disable the AFM. So....should I leave the Range off now for 1000 miles so Chevy can gauge the oil consumption? I really like the responsiveness of the always in 8 cylinder mode.

16,428 Posts
Well, if the oil level was "Very low" when the dealer checked, that could cause the noise as well if the internals were starved for lubrication.

· Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I had just checked it on Friday (after replacing the rotors and pads on the front) and it was fine. Not sure how much was missing today - I asked them how low and the tech said he didn't have specifics but was told "very low". I'll ask when I pick up the truck how much was drained out. I don't know why they wouldn't compression check / leak down test the cylinders if they suspect an issue though.

· Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I started running the Range module Nov. 24th 2016 so it had just over 62K on it. I ordered it after finding all the fouled plugs. This forum is full of great information and it's been a tremendous help to read others problems and identify trends like oil consumption and fouled plugs. I was aware of oil consumption issues on the older 5.3's but thought that after 2011 it was resolved. I'm learning that it has not.

16,428 Posts
I think it was "improved" in 2011, but a significant number of later trucks still seem to suffer the same issues. That is why dealers are still doing oil consumption tests. I am not sure if the TSB has been updated for production years later than 2011, but it probably should be.

· Member Extraordinaire, How-To Author, TOTM
22,227 Posts
Sadly I don't think they will ever get it 100% resolved. Some people get luck and installing the range after they see signs of failure it fixes it. But at least yours is under warranty and the dealer seems like they are going to help.

· Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I checked the oil last Friday and it was good. Wish I had checked it today before dropping the truck off. If I suspected a bad piston ring I'd at least compression check or leakdown check the cylinders - no? Oil consumption test seems more about the AFM system. Btw, this service department has lied to me 2x about tire rotations - saying they did them when they didn't.

16,428 Posts
Well, if this doesn't get resolved, then I have drop some blame at your feet. Why not find another dealer? Most people live within 20 or 30 miles of two or more of them. I wouldn't trust them with engine internals if they flat out lie about doing a contracted service.

· Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I quit going to them and did go to another dealer for maintenance in June. I'm back where I bought the truck for the warranty work. I hear you about the trust issues. All of the dealerships play games with the flat rate work and what they actually do - don't they?

· Registered
2,249 Posts
So the noise problem is fixed though ?
Definitely don't use the range during the consumption tests.
Sorry to see you have to go through any of this.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.