Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took my truck to a local shop to have a rough country leveling kit installed now I have some questions. They said they had some issues and had to use a rear riser from a separate kit as the one that came with the kit was not tall enough to level the truck with the front spacers. First sign of concern as the kit is made specifically for my truck. And It still sits higher in the front by over and inch driving me nuts. Today I notice that the front strut does not sit snug in the upper housing as can be seen in the attached pic. Went to the shop and they said everything is fine. Seems completely wrong to me. I check the upper mount bolts and they are indeed tight. Started to disassemble front as the directions state but was unable to get the steering linkage knuckle to pop out so I reassembled everything as I was running out of daylight. Shouldn't the front strut sit all the way up in the housing? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
955 Posts
That does not look like the one on my 2011, It doesn't look seated to me.

·
Registered
681 Posts
I put one of those kits on my brothers truck, and the directions had me cut off a portion of the factory strut stud so it would sit flush against the spacer. I'd track down the directions online since more than likely the shop threw them out, and show that step to the shop guy. Looks like he skipped that step

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
2009 Silverado LT 4WD
9,464 Posts
Exactly ^^^ that spacer should be seated all the way down on strut and when it gets seated the rear will probably be too high then. I wouldn't use that shop for work anymore!

·
Registered
3,084 Posts
This kit doesn't require the studs to be cut at all. Likely the shop didn't follow the directions of tightening the upper bolts before attaching the strut to the lower control arm. It would be as simple as disconnecting the upper ball joint, tie rods and swap bar, and then reinstalling the strut as the instructions say, by tightening the upper nuts first and then attaching the strut to the lower control arm. Until you can get that done, I wouldn't be driving your truck anywhere. Once you fix it, you can take it back and show them how it should be.

·
Registered
7,399 Posts
Can do it without taking tie rod off the knuckle.

Simply amazed the idiot who installed the spacers though this was normal! :shock:

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the help guys. So last weekend I removed the struts found that the shop put a rough country bottom strut space a daynastar top mount spacer of fromt and a 3 inch block in the back. I cut the factory strut studs to properly mount the daystar upper strut spacers and everything is siting nice and flush now. I love the look but now I am worried about safety and reliability as I have read its not a good idea to stack kits. Currently my truck sits at 41" from ground to the wheel well with 285/65/17 tires and damn near perfectly level. Should I be concerned or be happy with the way it looks? Again thanks for all the help to fix this damn shops incompetency.

·
Registered
7,069 Posts
You can use a top and bottom spacer on a strut as long as you don't go so high you lose all control arm travel and you don't max out ball joint and tie rod angles. You should never stack blocks on the rear. Post some pictures of the front end angles, CV's, tie rods and balljoints.

·
Registered
3,084 Posts
Sounds like your a little high. I'm about 39.5 with my 2.5". What size is the daynastar kit? I would pull the bottom spacer. You'll need a different size rear block to be level though. Did you take a RC leveling to them, or did you just ask for an RC leveling kit?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the quick response. Here are some pics let me know if you need a different angle. Sorry for the ignorant questions but how can you tell if they are maxed out? Seems they still have some travel but how much should you have? The rear is one solid block so no worries there. Thanks again.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,084 Posts
It looks like they are pretty close. I would take that lower spacer out asap. Those angles are so steep, everything is going to wear pretty fast. For comparison, this is how my angles look with a 2.5" levelling kit:

·
Registered
2009 Silverado LT 4WD
9,464 Posts
He has a RC 2" leveling spacer on bottom and possibly a 1.5" top leveling spacer or more?...your angles are terrible on uca's, tie rods, ball joints and cv's...if you want this kinda lift, you really need to look into like the RC 3.5" lift or any comparable lift..IMO...

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
This is turning into a huge pain in my butt. I am getting angrier and angrier at this shop. So basically I should go back to what I originally wanted a rc leveling kit and start back from scratch? I want the truck to be level and removing one of the front strut spacers will give her the forward rake again.

·
Registered
3,084 Posts
That's why I said you need a new rear block. If you can get the stock size blocks and remove one of the spacers, you'll be near level. Do you know what size the upper spacer is?

·
Registered
7,069 Posts
I agree those angles are horrific, I would have the shop remove the bottom spacer and redo the alignment, then I would never go back to that shop again they have no clue of what they are doing.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
So since I like the current stance of my truck I am looking into the RC 3.5" lift. Couple questions. Since my rear block is replaced and it seems the RC lift stacks on top of the factory block how do I get around this? Also I read that the shocks supplied with kit leaves something to be desired. So what would you recommend as a shock upgrade. Specific part/model numbers would be greatly appreciated. Read about 30 pages of stuff on the lift but couldn't find answers to the above questions. Again thanks for all the help.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.