Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I'm looking at a '14 Silverado 1500 double cab with the v6. It's mostly going to be for commuting and general use and will be used 6 - 10 times a year towing my 1962 Avion 24' camper which is about 3,000 pounds dry, so probably 3,500 - 4,000 pounds loaded, well under the 6,700 pound max towing capacity.

Does anyone have much towing experience yet with the '14 v6 and how has it worked for you?

I know I could just get the v8 but I'm looking at a decent price on a v6. And the v6 has 40 more hp than my 2000 Tundra that has a 4 speed transmission -- and the Tundra has pulled my camper with no problems.

Thanks,
Mike

·
Registered
16,624 Posts
I traded in a v6 blazer (4.3L) for my 2013 5.3 liter Silverado. I have a 19 foot trailer (2700 dry) and my V6 blazer didn't cut it. Sure it could tow it but not at highway speeds effectively. I would get the v8 so I don't have to worry about regretting my decision.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
171 Posts
The 4.3 in the 2014 is a completely different beast than the old Vortec 4.3. It should be just fine with pulling your camper. I've worked my 2010 4.3 pretty hard, and it does it without a sweat. You may find yourself using the tow/haul button more than the v8 trucks, but thats what its there for! Nobody gives the 4.3 enough credit, but I love the little guys. You can't kill them!

·
Registered
533 Posts
Yeah,
the v6 has 300 lb ft of torque and a six speed trans,
it should be able pull anything you can safely tow with a half ton.

Joe

·
Registered
6,413 Posts
Matt1WT said:
The 4.3 in the 2014 is a completely different beast than the old Vortec 4.3. It should be just fine with pulling your camper. I've worked my 2010 4.3 pretty hard, and it does it without a sweat. You may find yourself using the tow/haul button more than the v8 trucks, but thats what its there for! Nobody gives the 4.3 enough credit, but I love the little guys. You can't kill them!
+1 those motors are tough and I worked mine like a borrowed tractor when I had it.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
+1 to the above....no personal experience but several publications I have read have taken the V6 on light towing expeditions without any concern.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I test drove the V6 when looking at trucks. Paired with the 3.42 gears it was quite peppy and felt pretty torquey, I'm more than confident it would be able to tow your trailer without breaking a sweat. But It would probably be working harder than the 5.3 to pull the same trailer. Getting the 5.3, you would know it will be able to tow that trailer, while getting decent mileage towing it. Make sense?

But in the end I went with the 5.3 V8. The mileage difference was 1 mpg less in town and on the highway. So far I am able to get between 17-18 around town in my 5.3 with only 1200 miles on the clock. So it is still breaking in, I expect it to go up as the motor breaks in.

I would say just go with the V8, but if its out of your price range the V6 should be able to do the job just fine.

Just make sure you drive a 5.3L with the 3.42 gears. I drove a 5.3L with the 3.08's and it was a DOG.

Good luck!

·
Registered
533 Posts
Mike_G said:
Thanks all, that's what I was hoping to hear! Test drive tomorrow...

Thanks, Mike
What did you think after the test drive?
More importantly did you buy one?
I am curious about everyone's impression of the new silverado's , and if I get a new one at some point
I will probably go with the v6 also.
The w/t double cabs come with so much and for a reasonable price ( although no more $10,000 discounts....for now)
I would seriously be considering one except for no more suicide doors :( .

Please let us know when you get a chance.

Joe

·
Registered
16,624 Posts
I would go with the V8 as well since you are talking about towing stuff. For a daily commuter vehicle, the V6 is probably fine, but you are looking at a full size truck, not an S10 or some other compact. If you are going to use it as a truck, then get the V8.

·
Registered
533 Posts
esox07 said:
I would go with the V8 as well since you are talking about towing stuff. For a daily commuter vehicle, the V6 is probably fine, but you are looking at a full size truck, not an S10 or some other compact. If you are going to use it as a truck, then get the V8.
To this I say:
Go to a few used car lots and you will see that the stripped down v6 work trucks are the ones that have been
beat to shit by tradesmen for their whole life,
meanwhile, you can find 10 year old leather clad big v8 engined trucks everywhere that look like they
have never had anything in the bed.

Joe

·
Registered
2018 Silverado LTZ
3,274 Posts
The reason the V6 is a good price is because they are poor sellers. Let's face it-no one usually wants a truck with a V6 in it (generally). If you could wait a while sooner or later GM will wake up and offer incentives on the V8s.

If your doing any towing at all you need the 5.3. Plus, if your needs ever change and you need to trade it in you have a much better resale value than the V6.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Once again the 4.3 haters all chimed in and didn't really answer the OP. :roll:

The OP was looking for peoples experiences on towing with the 2014 v6. OP didn't ask about resale value, trade in value, or costs.

I will say again, the new 2014 4.3 is a completely different beast from the Vortec in the past. Equipped with the right gear set, the v6 should feel, drive, and tow "almost like" last year's 4.8 and 5.3. GM has awakened it by adding some ponies and torque, but really helped it out with the 6 speed auto out back.

Will the v8 out-tow, out-pull, out-haul, and resell/trade in better than the v6. Yep. You guys are right. It's simple engineering and economics that answer those questions. Most of us get our v6 trucks and actually work them until they rust out.

Give the v6 some credit, there's a reason it has been around since the 80's, virtually unchanged up until now! You can run them like hell before anything goes, and the rest of the truck will rot out around it before the engine needs major work.

·
Registered
7,069 Posts
Not a hater I have had 6 of them since 88 and three were oil burning, oil dripping POS, actually leaked more than my Knuckle head does. Given the choice the 4.3 would never again be a option in my book. You can dress up a pig but it will still be a pig.

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
JSDelaware said:
To this I say:
Go to a few used car lots and you will see that the stripped down v6 work trucks are the ones that have been
beat to shit by tradesmen for their whole life,
meanwhile, you can find 10 year old leather clad big v8 engined trucks everywhere that look like they
have never had anything in the bed.

Joe
Hate to do any more damage to this thread, but the OP is asking for V6 towing advice.....

Many tradesmen are looking for tool/supply haulers when they go for a 1/2 ton, so the V6 is a viable option for a handyman, etc. These are the trucks that get beat to snot, not tow vehicles which will favor the V8. This is also why the V6 WT is very popular in the 1/2 ton for construction sites, etc. where hauling is critical and the vehicle won't see significant speed or weight. Any construction/landscaping (insert other trade) that needs a substantial tow will usually opt for a 2500.

Again, OP, for your light use as a tow the V6 will be acceptable, other factors aside.

·
Registered
2018 Silverado LTZ
3,274 Posts
Matt1WT said:
Once again the 4.3 haters all chimed in and didn't really answer the OP. :roll:

The OP was looking for peoples experiences on towing with the 2014 v6. OP didn't ask about resale value, trade in value, or costs.

I will say again, the new 2014 4.3 is a completely different beast from the Vortec in the past. Equipped with the right gear set, the v6 should feel, drive, and tow "almost like" last year's 4.8 and 5.3. GM has awakened it by adding some ponies and torque, but really helped it out with the 6 speed auto out back.

Will the v8 out-tow, out-pull, out-haul, and resell/trade in better than the v6. Yep. You guys are right. It's simple engineering and economics that answer those questions. Most of us get our v6 trucks and actually work them until they rust out.

Give the v6 some credit, there's a reason it has been around since the 80's, virtually unchanged up until now! You can run them like hell before anything goes, and the rest of the truck will rot out around it before the engine needs major work.
If the OP thinks he will never get a bigger trailer, or thinks his needs will change and will want to trade his truck for something smaller-then a V6 is fine. But the more desirable truck at resale or trade in time will be the V8 because that's what most guys want. The sales numbers prove that.

For example-I bought my truck when I was living in California-it's 2WD. Moved to Utah and you don't see a 2WD truck, they are all 4WD. When I test drove a 2014 Silverado here, I asked the salesperson how many 2WD drive trucks they sold a year and he said "about five". It's fair to say here at trade in time I am going to be at a disadvantage trading in a 2WD truck and will take some sort of hit on it.

Just something to think about.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I appreciate all the replies & was interested to see some of my other concerns have shown up here. I test drove the v6 the other day and really liked it and I have little doubt it would work for my use. BUT, I can't help having second thoughts mostly because of resale. Looking around where I live it's pretty clear most people want a V8 and I'm afraid I'll have a difficult time when it's time to sell or trade. I'm going to give it a little time before I jump into buying and have to decide on which engine to get. If nothing else maybe some deals or incentives will come along.

Thanks, Mike

1 - 20 of 52 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.