Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was unable to find DRL killers for my 2015 Silverado and was getting sick of replacing Silverstar Ultra bulbs. I also didn't want to cut into any wiring or modify the factory harnesses/connectors or half-ass it. So I found a supplier for the connectors, pins, plugs, seals, etc and made a set of my own. However I had to buy a minimum of 50 of each connector and like 100 of the little pins and seals so I've got a lot of extras. I've been running them for a good couple months with no problems. My background is electronics so it was really simple to come up with the design. The potting boxes are sealed and filled with thermally conductive epoxy to prevent vibration or moisture damage. It's a little labor intensive to crimp on all the pins and assemble them but I'd like to recoup some of the funds I laid out for the materials and tools I needed to make them. So I'm willing to make at least as many sets as I have extra parts left. I tried several different potting boxes and relays before I was satisfied with the outcome. They are a direct fit/plug and play for anyone with a Silverado or X88 Sierra. They go between the harness and the housing connectors, installing them was easier than changing a bulb.

I'm just trying to gauge interest, I'm not committing to making them yet. I'm thinking $50 to $60 a pair with shipping depending on the number. If there's enough I'll come down on the price.

Here's a pic of my final/working prototype. I may make them with longer wires and slap some double-stick tape on the back because especially on the passenger side space is limited do to the airbox and a little flexibility would be nice and having it rattle around would be annoying.

· Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

· Member Extraordinaire, How-To Author, TOTM
23,197 Posts
Some people rather pay than deal with the hassle. I think they would sell on eBay for $100. Especially to those who don't want to upgrade to hids that have a drl harness. Gen5 also sells a foglight harness that people buy even though a $0.50 diode does the same thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ferraiolo1 said:
Some people rather pay than deal with the hassle. I think they would sell on eBay for $100. Especially to those who don't want to upgrade to hids that have a drl harness. Gen5 also sells a foglight harness that people buy even though a $0.50 diode does the same thing.

I saw that. They are getting $200 for $35 to $40 tops in parts. Those are really cheap relays. And they aren't even potted. I hate exposed contacts, they will corrode.

· Registered
2017 Silverado LTZ Z71
5,360 Posts
You don't need them for 07-13 you just pull the fuses

· Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ferraiolo1 said:
Figure out if it's the same layout for he 07-13s as the 14/15 and you sir have yourself a nice little marketable part

I just did and they are different. It's a different connector, but not difficult to figure out. A DRL killer wouldn't be hard to make. I'll look at it.

· Registered
4 Posts
Erebus said:
I was unable to find DRL killers for my 2015 Silverado and was getting sick of replacing Silverstar Ultra bulbs. I also didn't want to cut into any wiring or modify the factory harnesses/connectors or half-ass it. So I found a supplier for the connectors, pins, plugs, seals, etc and made a set of my own. However I had to buy a minimum of 50 of each connector and like 100 of the little pins and seals so I've got a lot of extras. I've been running them for a good couple months with no problems. My background is electronics so it was really simple to come up with the design. The potting boxes are sealed and filled with thermally conductive epoxy to prevent vibration or moisture damage. It's a little labor intensive to crimp on all the pins and assemble them but I'd like to recoup some of the funds I laid out for the materials and tools I needed to make them. So I'm willing to make at least as many sets as I have extra parts left. I tried several different potting boxes and relays before I was satisfied with the outcome. They are a direct fit/plug and play for anyone with a Silverado or X88 Sierra. They go between the harness and the housing connectors, installing them was easier than changing a bulb.

I'm just trying to gauge interest, I'm not committing to making them yet. I'm thinking $50 to $60 a pair with shipping depending on the number. If there's enough I'll come down on the price.

Here's a pic of my final/working prototype. I may make them with longer wires and slap some double-stick tape on the back because especially on the passenger side space is limited do to the airbox and a little flexibility would be nice and having it rattle around would be annoying.
Have you decided on selling them? Or no?

· Super Moderator, How-To Author, TOTM
5,240 Posts
Would one of these work between the OE harness and my HID Relay harness? This just kills DRL and HID's would still come on at night or dark situations correct? Seems it would work. I would only need one which would beat buying a pair if it saves some cash.

· Super Moderator, How-To Author, TOTM
5,240 Posts
Oh dang, it's been a minute since OP has been active on this. That Gen5 PnP DRL to fog+fog w/high beam is slick, but whew can't justify at that price. I am in the wrong profession.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.