Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 14 5.3 Silverado is throwing tons of rich bank 1 and Bank 2 codes ..I have replaced the air filter and mass air flow sensor and plugs..these pop up after every drive
Finger Measuring instrument Gadget Communication Device Bicycle accessory

Hand Finger Communication Device Gadget Measuring instrument

Hand Gesture Communication Device Bicycle accessory Finger

Fluid Gadget Finger Measuring instrument Line

Hand Finger Communication Device Gadget Measuring instrument

Communication Device Gesture Finger Red Gadget

Fluid Temperature Gadget Finger Measuring instrument

Temperature Finger Red Gadget Wrist

Hand Finger Gadget Measuring instrument Red

Finger Bicycle accessory Measuring instrument Red Wrist

·
Registered
2004 Sierra 3500 6.0L, auto, extended cab, cab&chassis, upgraded to 4wd
1,914 Posts
Work on fixing the the lowest number codes first. There is no "fix/replace X" thing, there is a list of things to check for each code, to determine what is causing it.

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
And to follow up, you want to fix this problem sooner, as running your truck like this (where it's way too rich) will use up the cat's much faster than normal...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It also diesels when you kill it sometimes especially if you have to idle anywhere along the trip ..and after the codes are thrown the truck shifts horribly... really hard downshifts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sorry I did forget to mention all 02 sensors have been replaced....For it to be both banks reading rich wouldn't it have to be an over fuel system problem like the MAF..you can smell fuel when the truck is idling ...but I have replaced that and it still runs rich and diesels??

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
You can:

a) continue to throw parts at the truck, hoping they fix it, until it happens to get fixed, or you run out of time/money/patience
b) go through the diagnostic process for each code you are getting (starting with the lowest number one), to figure out what is causing it, fix that problem, then use the truck to make sure the code isn't reoccuring and then move on to the next code

·
Administrator
7,786 Posts
Did you use genuine OEM GM sensors, not cheap aftermarket or counterfeits?

·
Registered
1999 Silverado ECSB 6.0
3,315 Posts
And to follow up, you want to fix this problem sooner, as running your truck like this (where it's way too rich) will use up the cat's much faster than normal...
He has already blown his cats. Hence the efficiency problem codes

·
Registered
13 Posts
Check the fuel trim for ethanol percentage, my 08 avalanche had a reading of 63 percent, I reset it to 3 percent, clear codes all is good. I had this happen before, even with trucks that don't burn ethanol and it will trip o2 issues. I reset it with my tech2 scanner.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Flex fuel sensor might be faulty and screwing with your trim.??? Any buyers on that one? I just don't get a faulty or dirty MAF sensor vibe...Now as far as cats and O2's I can't tell you if running too rich too long will do to them. I haven't had a cat in years....Just like real cats I'm allergic to them lol...

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Check the fuel trim for ethanol percentage, my 08 avalanche had a reading of 63 percent, I reset it to 3 percent, clear codes all is good. I had this happen before, even with trucks that don't burn ethanol and it will trip o2 issues. I reset it with my tech2 scanner.
You kinda beat me to where I was going. I don't know about resetting it or replacing it will fix it, but definitely believe it's the flex fuel sensor..

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Flex fuel sensor might be faulty and screwing with your trim.??? Any buyers on that one? I just don't get a faulty or dirty MAF sensor vibe...Now as far as cats and O2's I can't tell you if running too rich too long will do to them. I haven't had a cat in years....Just like real cats I'm allergic to them lol...

I have new 02 sensors...new MAF....new MAP sensor...I think it has to be something on the front end sending wrong info to make the fuel level rich on both banks..so it could be flex sensor

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
I have new 02 sensors...new MAF....new MAP sensor...I think it has to be something on the front end sending wrong info to make the fuel level rich on both banks..so it could be flex sensor
I think your right...Those combo of codes just screamed flex fuel sensor to me.. but I'm just a guy on a phone typing nonsense part of the time. lol

1 - 20 of 30 Posts